Us

James was running the fastest, leaving his other two friends behind as he darted through the trees. Ducking under branches and avoiding fallen debris, his heart thumped wildly in his chest as his legs carried him without much thought. It didn't matter the temperature had soared over the last week, making him dehydrated and more exhausted than usual, he needed to get back to the house as fast as possible, and that was all that was on his mind.

Stopping abruptly, Sirius's eyes watched James go ahead, but Ellie's hands waving in the air managed to draw his attention quickly. Dirt now smeared on her face and hair falling out of its previously neat braids, she looked a sorry sight and Sirius helped get her to her feet. There was no messing around, for getting out of the woods was a priority and Ellie's fall had lost them valuable time. With a few shared looks the beautiful girl told Sirius she was okay to keep going, and then they were running again. Hands clasped together tightly, they endeavoured to catch James up, both of them screaming at him, but it was no use. He was long gone.

The pair nearly went tumbling onto the gravel path as they barrelled out of the tree line, James already doubled over as he tried to get his breath back. None of their hearts had stopped racing, their cheeks flushed bright red as they all wiped sweat from their foreheads. Even in the shade of the trees, the sun's rays didn't let up.

    "She's going to kill us." Sirius wheezed, taking one more look at Ellie's dirty clothes.

    "What on earth?!" As if summoned, Euphemia came marching out of the Gryffin's front door with Cyrus hot on her heels, "I told you: back here by four. It's quarter to five!"

All three children bowed their heads under her stern gaze. It very much felt like they were back at school with Professor McGonagall breathing down their necks, and none of them had an explanation as to why they were so late.

They been so caught up trekking through the woods in search of corn fields that you should eventually get to, that none of them had realised how far they'd gone. Everything had been abandoned when James checked his watch and it said it was ten to four - even the picnic basket had been left behind. They must've walked miles, for they'd tried to run all the way home, but it just wasn't possible, and they all found themselves continuously becoming out of breath. Though they couldn't give up, because James was sure his mother would have his neck for dragging his friends out so far, and Ellie and Sirius had commitments they needed to be back for.

    "Sorry mum, time ran away with us." Euphemia just shook her head, placing her hands on her hips as she took in how dishevelled Ellie looked, "We also may or may not have lost the picnic basket..."

    "You two are supposed to be leaving in fifteen minutes!" The loving woman pointed at Ellie and Sirius, "What will your poor cousin think if you're late?"

    "Andy won't mind." Sirius dismissed, though this didn't appear to be the correct answer, for Euphemia just narrowed her eyes.

    "Get cleaned up and I'll meet you both back here." Cyrus instructed, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips, and Ellie ran into the house whilst Euphemia ushered James and Sirius back next-door.

It had taken a lot of persuasion on the handsome boy's part, but eventually Sirius had managed to convince Ellie to visit Andromeda with him when he went for dinner. Even though she'd been invited initially, stepping out into the real world still felt a little daunting. Running a rampage around the Potter and Gryffin land was okay, for she never actually saw anything other than her home and a few trees. But she'd had little contact with anything else since Adelaide passed and now, part way through August, a lot of time had gone by.

Everyone thought it would be good for her to get back out there, especially with the new school year fast approaching, and so she'd been convinced to go.