Chapter One

Author's Note: Hello, readers, my name is Taka. Thanks so much for reading my story. Attack on Titan was what got me into writing fanfiction, and I'm actually pretty proud of how far I've come. I appreciate your votes and comments so much!

Thank you!

Enjoy!

~

"(Y/N)." A distant voice called. It was deep and gravely. It wasn't familiar, either. There was a flash of dark green, and a fuzzy image of stony, gray eyes with a look of fear on them. The image was gone as soon as it appeared.

"(Y/N)!" There it was again. It sounded more strained, like something was wrong. Who could this voice belong to?

The voice kept calling to you, getting more desperate, but also growing more distant. Soon, it was replaced by a familiar one.

"(Y/N)!" Your best friend, Mylius screamed into your ear. You shot up a bit too fast, causing your head to feel dizzy for a second. "Oh, good. You're awake now." He said, standing up from his crouched position.

Mylius has been your friend since as long as you could remember. He's practically your brother at this point. He outstretched his arm so that you could grab hold and stand up.

The year 845 has not been kind to the two of you. Both of Mylius's parents perished in an unforeseen famine, and you've been without yours for several years. Your mom is still alive, but extremely ill, so much so that she can't take care of you. You were sure she would die soon. Mylius and you have grown to the ripe age of 17, basically raising yourselves.

There wasn't much left for you in Shinganshina now. The two of you decided years ago that you would join the scout regiment together, and if this year has taught you anything, it's that now is the perfect time.

Neither of you have ever seen a titan, but you've always been fascinated in where they came from and what makes them tick, so joining the military seemed like the natural course for your life. Mylius, however, knows that you can be rash, and he doesn't want you to go off on your own. Plus, if you leave him behind, he'll have no one left.

"Mylius," You said, sounding more serious than you normally would after waking up from a nap.

"What?" He said, looking at you quizzically.

"I think it's time for us to join the scouts."

You heard him take a sharp breath.

"...Yeah." He said, finally. "Hey, speaking of that, they should be back from their expedition in a few minutes. I know how much you like to go see them return. Plus, maybe we can familiarize ourselves with some of them before we start training."

"Ok, let's go then. I want to get a good spot." You said, getting up quickly. Your head pounded with headache, and Mylius gingerly rested his hands on your shoulders.

"Hey, stop moving so fast. You worked hard today. Don't overexert yourself."

That's right. The two of you had been training today. That's all there really is to do these days besides work your crappy jobs at the market. You downed a cup of water Mylius gave to you and the two of you headed out the door and to the gate of Wall Maria, eager to greet the victors you so looked up to.

What you saw instead was the grave faces of soldiers who'd witnessed something you couldn't even imagine. Almost all of their eyes were downcast, if they even kept both eyes. The stink of rotting flesh followed the group, which you noticed was only a fraction of the soldiers who had left the walls just a couple of days earlier. You felt the need to vomit as you noticed multiple people with missing limbs, with blood-soaked gauze covering the phantom appendages.