Chapter Twenty-Two

"(Y/N)!" Mylius yelled, running up to you as you rode up on your horse. He ran desperately toward you from the stables, where you could see the rest of your friends gathered up, all looking in your direction.

You practically fell off the horse, eager to see your friends. Mylius tackled you in a tight embrace, and soon Altiena joined you, along with the rest of your friends. Jun made sure to set up your horse in the stables while you took in the embrace of your friends. It had been almost two years since you saw them, and they all looked like they matured a lot. You took a step back and admired all of them, tears forming in your eyes. 

Mylius had tamed his crazy curly hair, opting for a shorter haircut that still left him some length on the top. Silva looked largely the same- still sporting her raggedy bobbed hair. Altiena had let her hair grow out a bit, and it was still just as wavy as it was before, and she had grown a few inches as well. You didn't have much time to take in the appearances of the others before your eyes were swelled with tears, and Mylius took you in for another hug. 

"I'm so happy to see you guys..." You whimpered. They all smiled, and Altiena sobbed. 

"It's been so long!!" She cried. "I missed you so much, (Y/N)! I need to tell you so many things!"

"Me too. But I'm starving. Can a girl get a bite to eat around here?" You said. 

"Anything for our esteemed guest." Silva joked. "Let's go. I'm sure the other cadets are eager to see you, too."

As you entered the mess hall surrounded by your friends, all eyes turned toward you. There were a couple of hushed murmers, but then one cadet you barely recognized exclaimed "(Y/N)'s back!" and the place erupted into cheers. You had no idea they all remembered you, much less liked you this much. Mylius jabbed his elbow into your side.

"Thank you, everyone! I'm glad to be back!" You said, waving. You waited until they quieted down. "I'm happy to see all of you, but I am here on behalf of business." You cleared your throat and they all looked at you attently, like you were their commanding officer. "I am here to evaluate you and look for the best soldiers. I know some of us have not met-" You looked over to a group of younger cadets, who definitely were not there when you started, "And I am eager to see what you all can do. But don't feel intimidated by me! I was once one of you, so you can treat me the same as you always did."

They all still looked at you, seeming to expect a new command. 

"Uh, you can go back to eating now." And they obeyed. You were not used to this kind of power. At HQ you were bottom of the barrel, even though you were basically Levi's right hand man. This would be a new experience for you. 

Before joining your friends for dinner, you needed to report to Commander Shadis that you had arrived. You walked up to him and he gave you a proud smile. 

"Welcome, (Y/N). I trust you'll find some worthy candidates for the scout legion here." He said, holding out his hand and giving you a firm handshake. 

"Thank you, Commander. They seem disciplined. I have no doubt these will be some fine soldiers." You remarked.

His eyes became dark. "They'd better be." He said. That was a bit unsettling, but you bid him farewell and returned to your old dinner table, which was full of your friends. They had left an empty spot for you between Mylius and Silva.

You spend the evening hanging out with them, talking and playing games much like you did the night before you had to leave. You stayed up late into the night talking, which wasn't a problem for you, but your friends did have training tomorrow. You followed the girls back to your old cabin.