Short: Last Friend

The art above is my own! If you like it, find me on instagram @takastrapi!

This story takes place during the four year time skip between season 3 and 4.

Though you abhorred boring military meetings, they did offer some respite in your life. This was because they allowed you to see your old friend, Jun. It had been a little while since the two of you spoke- since after the battle of Shinganshina, in fact. And at that time, it had only been to stare at each other and cry. 

But looking at him made you smile now. You felt the loss of your friends, but at least he was still here to understand exactly how you felt. After the formalities were over, you hurled yourself at Jun, and he welcomed the embrace. He was never the touchy kind of person but the rules were different now.

"Jun!" You exclaimed. "I've missed you." You spoke into his shoulder. 

"I missed you too, (Y/N). How's the scout legion been treating you?"

"Great! But tell me about yourself, Jun, I barely know what's going on in the garrison these days." You said, pulling away from him to look him in the face. 

"Well, we've been monitoring the walls as always, but also developing some new ODM gear technology. Commander Pixis seems to be following in Hanji's footsteps with all this experimental stuff. Oh, and I got promoted. I'm a captain now."

"Captain Jun!" You smiled. "Congratulations!"

His face softened. "It gets somewhat lonely every once in a while, but I just think about how my work is going to impact the world someday. I hope... our friends would have been proud of us." 

You lifted a hand to his shoulder. "I know they are."

Jun's eyes drifted to the necklace hanging around your neck. "So you still wear that, huh?" He smiled. 

"It's a miracle it hasn't broken in battle. But yeah, as long as it exists, I'm wearing it." Your hand instinctively reached to the beaded necklace that read "M.A.S.E," But ever since you left the training grounds the second time, the letters "R" and "J" had been added as well, spelling out "MASERJ." To anyone else it would have been weird, but to you and Jun, it was a testament to your friendship.

A low voice cleared his throat behind you, and the man came so close you were almost touching.

"Captain Levi." Jun nodded. 

"Captain Jun." Levi nodded back. 

You watched as the two men held mutual respect for each other. Just a couple years ago, Jun would have been cowering in fear at the smaller captain. But you now got to witness how much he had grown in this period of time. You really were growing up.

The two of them participated in a firm handshake, and Levi narrowed his eyes. "You're taller." 

"That happens..." Jun said. Last time the two met, Jun was twenty years old, but he was a bit of a late bloomer. Levi had liked him the most out of your friends because he was just as short as he was, but he'd never admit that. Now that reason was no longer. Jun spoke again. "I hope you're treating (Y/N) well."

"Why don't you ask her?"

Your face turned red at the sudden attention. Jun looked at you expectantly, and you could almost feel Levi's smirk. "Yeah, he is." You responded. For some reason this interaction had suddenly become full of tension. Jun technically was your last friend, so he had to carry the responsibility on his shoulders that Mylius and Silva would before. Luckily you didn't need any protecting from Levi.

"Good." Jun said. Levi sensed the uneasiness and left your side. 

"Let's go on a walk." You suggested to Jun. It was a beautiful day outside, and the two of you strolled the grounds of the capitol building where the meeting had just adjourned. Several officers from different regiments roamed the grounds as well, and there was a sense of positivity in the air, despite the bleak circumstances you all faced. Things were complicated nowadays, but you were glad most people were able to find happiness in all of it somewhere. 

You chatted about old times, and Jun told you of all his new duties as a captain in the garrison. You were glad your promotion ended at squad leader, though your squad technically was gone by now...

You didn't want to let those thoughts overtake you. You wanted to spend this day with your friend. You walked all the way to a tea shop that you remembered Levi had recommended to you once, and to your surprise, Commander Pixis and Hanji were already inside, chatting over some blueberry scones- your favorite. 

"(Y/N)! You better get over here!" Hanji beckoned you over. The two of them slid over in their booth to make room for you and Jun. "You gonna introduce me to your friend, here, or what?" Hanji said, smiling.

"Right, Hanji, this is Jun, one of my friends from training."

"And one of my captains." Pixis added, giving a warm smile.

Jun's confident behavior had melted away in front of his superior. "That's right, sir." He managed to get out.

"Are those blueberry scones good?" You asked Hanji as she finished one off. 

"You betcha!" She called the waiter over to ask for some more. When you got ahold of them, they were pretty good, but not as much as the ones you had a while ago with Levi... you tried to remember the name of the place, but couldn't come up with it.

"Ladies, if you don't mind." Pixis said, starting to stand up from his place after a while of chatting together. "My captain and I need to discuss some business matters, so we'll be taking our leave now."

You and Jun looked at each other. "I'll write to you." He said. You smiled at him, then watched the two garrison officers leave the shop, leaving you and Hanji alone.

"So, I see Shorty's got you all hooked on tea, now, huh?" She said.

You chuckled. "I guess. He's rubbed off on me in more ways than one."

Hanji loved it when you started talking about Levi. You were almost as passionate as when she talked about the titans. She smiled and listened to you go on about the captain. A lot of weight had been thrown on her after Erwin died, so simple moments like these were where she was able to relax and be herself. 

You'd have to get back to everyday work soon, but for now, nothing seemed to matter but your precious friendships.

~