Short: The Girl

The art above is my own! If you like it, find me on instagram @takastrapi!

This story takes place when you and Mylius are ten years old.

You stepped out of the school, ignoring the weird stares from your classmates. They didn't ever understand you. But that didn't matter- one person did, and that was Mylius Thatcher, your best friend. He soon fell into step by your side and and you proudly wore a wide grin on your face. 

"Enjoy your weekend, children!" The schoolteacher yelled as you walked away. You doubted most of the kids even heard her message. It didn't matter; the kids would have good weekends regardless of her well wishes.

"All right, so what do you want to do today?" Mylius asked. 

"We could go to that big hill we found last week! Remember that one with the tree on the top?" You said. 

"Yeah! But we should go get my wagon. Then we can ride down it!"

Your eyes shone with excitement. "That's a great idea!" The two of you raced back to Mylius's house, uttering quick 'hello's to his mother, then grabbed the wooden wagon and headed out back into the town. 

"Can I ride in the wagon?" You asked Mylius.

He sighed. "Fiiiiine... but only because you're my best friend." 

"Woo!" You pumped your fist in the air, then climbed into the wagon after he stopped for you to get in. "Let's go!"

"Forward!" Mylius exclaimed, pointing forward with his free arm. He pulled you all the way to the back gate, then through. He pulled you along the beaten path until you reached the hill with the tree on top.

"All right, now get out. You're too heavy for me to pull you all the way up there through the grass." He said.

"Awww.." You whined as you left the wagon. You took the rope from him and started to walk up the hill. But when you got to the top, you saw something unexpected. 

At the foot of the tree that stands on the hill, there was a child. She looked to be about the same age as you. Her clothes were tattered and she looked especially dirty. You approached her, expecting some sort of response, but she didn't move. Upon closer inspection, you could tell from her closed eyes and regulated breathing that she was fast asleep, leant up against the tree. 

You looked back at Mylius, who looked just as clueless as you. You got inches away from the girl, then reached out your arm to touch her shoulder. But before you could make contact, her eyes shot open and she jolted away before you could touch her. She covered her shoulder with her hand and looked at you with wide brown eyes, frightened. 

"Hello," Mylius said, crouching behind you, "What's your name?"

The girl just blinked at the two of you. You have less patience than Mylius. "Hey, he asked you a question. My name's (Y/N). What's yours?" She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"And I'm Mylius."

She swallowed, then spoke. "Jillian."

"Hi, Jillian." Mylius said with a soft tone. 

"Why are you all dirty, Jillian?" You said, ignoring social graces. Mylius elbowed you in your side. Clearly your actions were a bit rude. 

Jillian looked down at her filthy garments and dirt-covered skin. "I... ran away."

"Ran away? From where?" You questioned. 

She stared into your eyes, but it felt like she was looking past them. "Down... down there." She pointed her finger at the ground.

"Under...ground?" Mylius said. "People live underground?"

"Thousands..." She said. "Thousands of people live under Wall Sina... They all die down there... I didn't want to be next..." 

"Slow down," You said. "Start at the beginning."

The girl took a deep breath. She had already said so much, there was no point in holding back now. "I lived in the Underground. I was taken by some men, and brought to the surface, but I escaped from them. Now I'm up here. I thought life would be better up here, but I have no where to go."

"You can come with us!" You said. You let yourself get so worked up that the rope for the wagon had slipped out of your hand, and the wagon went tumbling down the hill. Mylius started to run after it, and you followed suit. Neither one of you could have reached it before it was far away, to where you couldn't see the top of the hill anymore from most angles. 

You trudged back up the hill with the rope tightly in your hand. As you neared the top you could see the familiar tree branches, but when you looked down to the base of the tree, Jillian was no where to be found.

Mylius circled the trunk, thinking she could be hiding, but there was nothing. There was nothing but a piece of torn cloth that was most certainly from her tattered shirt. 

He picked up the piece. "She's gone..." He stated the obvious. You whipped your heads around, trying to find where she had gone. There were a few carriages on the road near the hill, but that's the only sign of human life you could see. She really was just completely gone. Perhaps, if you weren't just children, you could have saved her. 

Suddenly you didn't feel like having a fun day riding the wagon down the hill anymore. You and Mylius just plopped yourselves down at the base of the tree, letting your exhausted minds lull you to sleep. 

~