Chapter Thirty-Four

"Oi, brat." Said Levi, marching up to you and Commander Hanji. "Come on, I don't have all day."

 This was pretty typical of him. He would approach you, claiming you had something planned, but you never actually knew what was going on. Usually he'd bring you somewhere for a romantic evening. "Oi, brat. Come on, I don't have all day." was his way of asking you out on a date.

And you happily obliged, after getting a wink from Hanji. "Alright, overlord, where too?" You locked your fingers with his. He didn't answer the question, but you weren't really expecting him to.

It had been about two years since you had seen the ocean for the first time. So many advances were made in that amount of time- you were able to contact soldiers from Marley and take them as prisoners, and some of them even wanted to help the island. Most of the remaining 104th gang were busy building a railroad by hand, which was advised by the Anti-Marleyan soldiers. You, Levi, and Hanji had gone to visit them in the morning.

Levi pulled you into a carriage and ordered the driver somewhere, and the town name sounded kind of familiar for some reason. You spent most of the hour-long ride looking out the window, admiring the landscape where titans once roamed. Most of your time with Levi turned out to be sitting in comfortable silence, but for some reason things felt a little tense. You couldn't figure out why.

You sighed. "So, the cadets seemed to be in high spirits today." You said. 

"Yeah." Levi mumbled. 

You smiled. "They all look so grown up now... I'm pretty sure all of them have passed both  of us in height at this point, even Connie. He used to be tiny! And they're still just teenagers, they're probably not even done growing!"

Levi just grumbled.

"But I think we both know size doesn't matter, humanity's strongest." You grinned, trying to egg some kind of reaction out of him other than just a grunt.

"Uh-huh." He said, his tone just as bored as always.

You frowned. Levi wasn't always especially talkative, but something seemed off with him. He kept fidgeting with his fingers and shoving his hands in his pockets nervously. But you decided to not press him about it. If he wanted to tell you something, he would.

The carriage stopped in a town that looked way too familiar to be new. Luckily, the memory came rushing back when Levi pulled you around a corner, and you were met with a wooden sign that read simply "Tea."

"Oh, I remember this place! It was so cute!" You said. Levi shuffled around in his pocket, and you approached the door of the building. Instead of just walking in, He shoved a key in the keyhole, and unlocked it before opening the door. "Wha... huh?" You questioned.

He opened the door to reveal the place looking identical, except for the fact that it was completely empty, the shades were closed, and it looked like no one had been using it for a while.

"It went out of business a couple months ago." Levi said. "Military pay's pretty good, and I really haven't had to use much of it before, so..." He paused. "With a little convincing from Hanji, I bought it."

You were speechless.

"I even came and talked to the previous owners for a while. I said I could pay for them to keep running it but they told me they should've retired years ago anyways."

You smiled. "So this is where you keep disappearing to..."

"Yeah..." He raised his hand to itch at the back of his neck. "The best part is, they left all their recipes to me. So we can recreate those blueberry scones."