Chapter Thirty-Two

You learned of the losses incurred by the garrison from Rico once you had made it back to the interior of wall Rose. You could only hope that Ella and Jun made it out alive, but you wouldn't be able to know until all the dust had settled. And it was almost time. You and the rest of the scout regiment had spent the morning clearing the city of titans, after the full day of constant cannon fire beforehand. You wondered if that's where Ella and Jun could have been.

You helped eradicate most of the titans in the area, but Hanji was determined to capture a couple of them. You were the person she decided to help her with this task, and you can't say no to Hanji. You managed to use a few of your soldiers to lure some small Titans into a corner, where Hanji and her men were able to pin them down and capture them.

Levi probably racked up the highest kill count of anyone, which came as no surprise. Him and his squad probably could have cleaned up the whole city by themselves, the rest of you were just there to make the process faster. Luckily you had not lost any lives on the cleanup mission, but the most traumatizing experience was yet to come.

It was time to survey the grounds, to keep tabs on who perished in the attack. Some bodies were indistinguishable. Some were torn up so much that all you could make out was what regiment they were from, if even that. Some were morphed together in some twisted ball of titan spit.

Most of the soldiers who died were cadets from the 104th. You had spoken to many of them. They all had hopes and dreams, and they would never get to live them out. And now the survivors would have to carry that weight. You watched one of the cadets you recognized, Jean, who was standing in front of a mangled corpse. You walked toward him after a mortician left his presence.

"Jean." You offered the most comforting voice you could to the grieving teen.

He responded without taking his eyes off the body. "Sir."

You couldn't bring yourself to look. "It's not your fault." You said.

"I didn't... I didn't even see him... no one even knows how he died..." Jean seemed to be talking to himself.

"That doesn't make his sacrifice any less valiant. Was he a friend of yours?" You asked.

"It's... it's Marco." He said.

Now, you had to look. You knew Marco, he was respectful, cheery, friendly, strong... all the great attributes of a wonderful soldier. And now there he was, quite literally a shell of himself. His body appeared to be torn in half. He was devoured. He didn't even get the chance for greatness. "I'm sorry, Jean." You said with a broken voice, lifting your arm to his shoulder. He crumbled under your touch, sinking to his knees. He sobbed there on the ground, burying his head in his hands. You decided the best course of action was to leave him alone. His friends would do a better job comforting him than his superior officer, anyway.

You walked a little ways a way down the street when you saw a familiar face. Jun. You ran towards the friend you hadn't seen in a long time.

"Jun!" You yelled as you neared him. As you got closer, you realized the expression on his face was full of dread. You gotten only a few feet away from him before he even brought his eyes to meet yours. Jun looked different, and not in just the way that he had gotten older and his hairstyle slightly changed. He looked jaded. "Jun... what's wrong?"

He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"Jun? Are you alright?" Silva said, appearing behind you. Altiena trailed with her. Her cheery mood was nonexistent in this context. She could barely speak any words with all this death surrounding her.

"I'm... okay." Jun whispered.

"I'm glad you're not hurt..." You said. His eyes looked dark and glazed over, like he was unable to be in the moment.