Chapter Sixteen

The next day you woke up at 5:30, slowly dragging yourself out of bed and into the hall restroom. You thought you would have recovered from yesterday's trip by now, but your thighs were still aching in pain. You'd just have to get over it and make sure to not show Levi your weaknesses. Then again, he's already seen you at your worst, essentially, while you were injured. Nevertheless, this is the first day of your newly-assigned scout regiment tenure, so you wanted to make a good impression.

You put on your uniform and jacket, still with the cadet corps crest plastered all over. You took a deep breath and walked out the door to courtyard, then entered the main building where the mess hall and offices were. It was a perfect day outside, nice for training and also getting acquainted with the grounds of scout headquarters.

You still had about ten minutes to spare, so you grabbed a banana from the mess and ate it on the way to Levi's office. You arrived five minutes early, and stood in front of his closed door, adjusting your uniform and trying to rid yourself of your nerves. As you were standing there, a familiar face walked down the hallway, and practically tripped upon laying eyes on you.

"(Y/N)!" Hanji said, raising her hand in a formal wave. "First day, huh?" She leaned into your ear. "If Shorty works you too hard, you can tell me. I'll annoy him extra for it!"

You laughed nervously. "Better not let him hear you calling him that. He might beat you to the ground."

"Ah, my little (Y/N) is already an expert on the captain." She gave you a firm pat on the back. "Well, have fun today! If you're not too pooped out afterward, swing by my lab in the evening!"

"I'd love to, Hanji." You said.

"Great! See ya then!" Hanji said behind her back as she walked away.

Seeing her calmed your nerves a bit. You didn't know why you were so nervous to talk to Levi. You had spent so much time with him recently. This shouldn't be affecting you so much.

Trying not to overthink everything, you raised a hand to knock on his door. About half a second later, it opened, revealing the man in question. He looked the same as always, bored, tired, and a bit annoyed.

"Wow," he said, "three whole minutes early. Someone's a try-hard."

"Would you rather me be late, then?" You retorted, easily slipping back into your playful banter. He rolled his eyes. Maybe you were worried about nothing.

"Come on, we've got work to do." He said, moving out into the hall.

You walked behind him. You were used to walking next to Levi, but now that you were at headquarters, and you were more established as his subordinate, it felt wrong to do so.

You wouldn't have known this because you couldn't see his face, but he was slightly disappointed you weren't walking next to him like you used to. But he understood why. For some reason, things felt a little tense between the two of you to him. He couldn't place why.

His head was so heavy with these thoughts that he forgot to take out his training plan for today, which he had left on his desk. There was no way he was going to let you know of this slip-up, so he tried to cover it up. As soon as you reached the small training ground at the back of the main building, he spoke.

"Wait here." He said. You decided not to ask any questions. You used the time to get in some warm-up stretches, assuming he would start with hard training straight-away. A few minutes later he returned.

"Good," he said upon witnessing you warming up. "I see you're still keeping up with your regular training regimen. I noticed the other cadets at the training corps taking after you even while you were out of commission." The captain took up conversation, hoping you wouldn't notice his slip-up. It worked.