Chapter Six

"(Y/N)!!!" Altiena came barreling through the door, Ella, Silva, and Mylius trailing behind her. She practically flopped onto your stomach, practically knocking the wind out of you. "I missed you!" She wailed. You patted her head and looked at your other friends. They all had somewhat apologetic smiles.

"Hi guys," you said, "Shadis working you hard today?"

Mylius groaned. "You know it. Happy Birthday, by the way. I didn't even get to see you this morning."

"Ah, well, I still got a warm birthday good morning from this lot." You gestured to the three girls, Altiena's face still buried in your lap.

Mylius held a plate of food in his hand. And it was a good thing, too, since it felt like your stomach was about to digest itself. You hadn't eaten since yesterday.

"Here." He set it down on your lap.

"Thanks, Mylius."

"Sorry, (Y/N), but Shadis asked us three to help him with something, so we have to go." Ella said. Altiena whimpered in dismay. She looked up at you, her striking green eyes shining. She took one of your hands in hers, and whispered.

"I will be back for you, my dear friend." You giggled at her dramatics.

Silva shut the door behind the three, and then it was just you and Mylius. You hadn't been able to talk to him one-on-one in a while.

"I wish I could have gotten you a gift or something, but I couldn't think of what to do with everything that's happening, and-"

"It's fine, Mylius. You don't need to get me anything. Your friendship is enough for me. Plus, you brought me food and  I know you told the others that it was my birthday today. Believe it or not, I actually forgot about it."

He laughed. "I figured. Usually you get hyped up for at least a week beforehand."

Every time one of you mentioned life before the titans attacked, a melancholy state filled whatever space you were in. The only thing that can fix it is a change in subject.

"What's that?" Mylius indicated, pointing to the book Levi lent you.

"Oh, Captain Levi came over here to check on me, and he said he didn't want my brain to turn to mush so he gave me this." You giggled, remembering his reaction when you were surprised at his enjoyment of romance novels. "Here, look at the title."

Mylius squinted at it and then his lips curled into a smile. "Wait, he gave you a romance novel?" He laughed boisterously. "That seems really out of character!"

"I know, right? I couldn't believe it."

The two of you laughed for a while, enjoying each other's company.

"Mylius?"

"Yeah, (Y/N)?"

"Well, Levi didn't come over here just to give me a book. He said he had a special offer for me if I were to take it."

Mylius's expression changed to that of a serious one. "What kind of offer?"

You took a deep breath. "He said that once my ankle is better I can come with him to join the scouts early and finish my training there."

Mylius looked down. You were unsure what to make of his reaction. "And what did you say?"

"Well, I told him I need time to think about it. I don't really want to leave you guys, but I've been given this insane opportunity..."

"I don't want you to leave either," he breathed, "but I would support you one-hundred-percent if you felt you had to go, too. Plus, I wouldn't be too lonely. We've got some more friends under our belts now."