Chapter Twenty-Six

Fun fact: it's canon that Levi gets nervous and clumsy around the people he likes.

Levi watched as you galavanted around his office, pointing out little details that you liked. You liked the angle of one of the books that never moved on his shelf, you liked how one of the corners of his desk was especially worn down from all the times he accidentally ran into it, and you liked how there was always a single dying plant sitting in the windowsill.

You were properly feeling the effects of your drinks, and even though Levi had just as much as you, he seemed relatively unchanged. You sauntered over to the back of his chair, laying your hands on it behind him. He looked up at you.

"You know what I especially like about your office?" You said, feeling bold.

"What?"

You smiled and hugged the chair back. "This right here. It's my favorite part."

He furrowed his brows. "You like... my chair?"

You giggled drunkenly. "Yeah..."

"You've never even sat in it. At least to my knowledge."

"Oh, no, if I sat in it, then it would nullify the reason I like it so much." You backed away from the chair and moved yourself to face Levi, searching his eyes.

"Then what's the reason you like it?" He said, with an air of skepticism lacing his voice.

"Heh..." You leaned in close to him and whispered. "Because you're always in it."

He brought a hand up to cover his mouth. "(Y/N), don't say stupid stuff like that. You're going to embarrass yourself." He averted his eyes from you and leaned back into his chair, creating distance between your faces. The truth was that he loved this; you were being flirty towards him and he invited it. He just had absolutely no clue how to respond smoothly. It was like all of his composure had left him. Could it just be the alcohol?

You lifted your hand up to mimic him. "It looks like... You're the one who's embarrassed, little man." You said with a smirk.

He glared at you and lifted his arm to flick your forehead. "Again with the dumb nicknames, idiot? I thought I told you what I liked to be called."

"Look, I can't help it. When the opportunity presents itself I just have to take it. Plus, I'm intoxicated."

"No, you really don't have to take it. And that's not an excuse."

"Anyway..." You twirled away from the captain, and his body relaxed again. He didn't realize he was so tense as a result of your close proximity just then. You stopped spinning and cocked your head to the side. "Would you ever get married, Levi?"

"Uh-" He stammered. "Wh-why would you even ask something like that?"

You put your hands on your hips. "Can't a girl be curious sometimes? Answer the question, unless you're a wuss..." You said, your words overly slurred.

He rolled his eyes. "...Maybe. If I found the right person... I don't think that kind of thing is really practical right now, though."

You scoffed. "Practical? It's not about that, it's about loooove~" You sang, mirroring the way Altiena would sing that word. "Eh, do what you want, though. I see why you'd say it's not practical. What with being in the scout regiment and all."

"...Yeah." He said.

"What would you do if we were able to kill all the titans and live freely?" You asked.

"Well..." He sighed. "In reality, the military wouldn't be completely dissolved, it would probably transition into more of a government or police role, and I would keep my rank."