Chapter Thirty-Three

You awoke to the gentle nudges of the captain behind you. "(Y/N), get up, we gotta go." He said, emotionless. He was spent after last night. It took a lot out of him to be so emotionally available for you, but you didn't blame him. You yawned and rolled out of bed, then started lazily dressing yourself.

You were no longer that shy around Levi; it was convenient to not have to go into another room to change. The man was respectful, he always turned away to give you your privacy. After you had dressed, you slumped yourself over his shoulders as he finished buttoning his shirt. "It's not even sunrise yet." You whined.

"Life of a soldier." He said. "You're only tired because you were up so late last night. By the way, you were talking in your sleep." He started putting on the complicated straps of his uniform.

"Really? What was I saying?"

"You kept repeating Ella's name."

"Oh... yeah, I had a dream about her." You said. Levi reached toward you and started adjusting the straps of your uniform. You had a habit of making them too loose, and Levi made it his job to help you out.

"You wanna tell me what it was about?" He said.

You sighed. "I just saw her... and she told me to keep going. She even reached out to me and I could... feel her. I... got to hug her one last time. And then, she was really gone."

"Well, that's one way to say goodbye." Levi said, adjusting your last strap. He moved to your head and started messing with your hair. There was no mirror in the room, so Levi took it upon himself to make sure you looked presentable. Of course, you were beautiful to him in any form, but he knew you could get very particular with these kinds of things. It was his pride and joy to do them for you.

"Yeah. It did... make me feel a little better."

"Good." Levi said. "Because we have got someone to talk to."

You followed Levi down to the basement of the building, but stopped when you got to the last step. "Hold on, what's going on here?"

"Erwin and I are interrogating that titan kid." He said. "Erwin thinks we should let him join the scouts."

You raised a hand to your chin. Eren did say that he was determined to join the scouts. But... what is he? Maybe he isn't really the boy you thought you knew from the training corps. "I'll sit out on this one. I think me being there might just confuse him more, you know? I think you and Erwin should handle this." You said.

"Fine by me. Do whatever you want." He said, and walked off. You considered hanging around the corner and listening in, but if something happened Levi would tell you. You decided to pay your own soldiers a visit.

You swung open the door to their barracks, revealing that none of them were awake, except Silva. She was laying on the ground opposite Renko, studying his sleeping face. But when you arrived, she swiftly turned her attention to you. She got up and walked toward you, wordlessly enveloping you in a hug.

"We all talked for a while last night." She whispered. "We know Ella would have wanted us to keep moving forward. Altiena and I also tracked down Jun's garrison friends and told them to make sure he was doing okay. So... we'll all move on, for her." She sighed and moved away from you.

"Good." You said. "So everyone else is doing fine?"

"Yeah, we kind of had to start realizing that joining the scouts is basically signing up to die."

"Don't say that, Silva!" You protested.

"But we're okay with it. We know that our sacrifices won't be in vain, as long as someone reaches that ocean. That's what Ella always wanted." She said.