Short: Safe

You laid in bed with your eyes wide open, staring right at the ceiling. You looked to your right, and where Levi's sleeping body should be, was instead messy, empty sheets, cold to the touch. He should be there.

But on second thought, you should be sleeping, too. Instead you laid awake, thinking about the long day ahead of you.

It wasn't an expedition, per say, more of an "excursion." Hanji needed to take a squad out for some research purposes, and she wanted you to essentially be the bodyguard for her mission. Each member of her squad can hold their own, sure, but you had been climbing the ranks at headquarters for quite some time, now. You were a high-ticket item, plus, you were interested in Hanji's research, and she liked your company.

It wasn't rare for something like this to happen; you'd go out in the range of titans with Hanji every one or two months. However, that was before you and Levi made things official. Now that you've been sleeping in his room a few times each week for a little over a month, things were different.

He'd gotten stressed before, since you were very close friends at the time, but now the relationship has deepened. Something that always comforted him about these missions was that you never actually had to fight any of the titans; your main job was to calculate safe distances from them and order retreats when necessary. Hanji needed someone with authority there, since she'd get too carried away with her research. She could get reckless if there wasn't someone explicitly giving her orders. You didn't rank higher than her, but she respected you enough to grant you permissions to be her 'temporary' superior.

The last time you went out was about two months ago, so naturally you were due for another one soon. You didn't think about how it would affect Levi. Usually, when you did this, you didn't sleep in his bed, so you only knew his reaction from the shorter amount of time you spent together. Now that you see him from morning to night on most days, you get to see his entire mentality surrounding it. And right now, that means he can't get to bed.

Consequentially, that means you can't sleep, because you're thinking about him too much. You sighed and gripped the empty sheets in front of you. You'll have to do something about it, or no one's getting rest tonight.

You slipped out from under the covers, goosebumps forming on your unclothed skin. You wore a long T- shirt that ended just above your knees. The door to Levi's office from the bedroom was slightly open, and you could see the faint flickers of candlelight coming from the room. You slowly pulled open the door, revealing the large office.

It was quiet. You had expected to hear the faint sounds of ink on paper, but instead, nothing. The candle sitting on Levi's desk was melted almost down to the end of the wick, and from the light of it you could see the very man in question- hunched over a spread of papers, eyes closed and mouth slightly open. His breaths formed into a light snore. You could have squealed at how adorable the image before you was, but you restrained yourself.

One arm was bent and supporting his head, while the other laid awkwardly stretched across the desk. One of his legs was up on the seat of the chair and pressed against his chest and the other bent lazily under the seat. His usual peaceful sleeping face now looked a bit disgruntled- as if pure frustration put him to sleep.

He looked so cute, but you knew if you left him to stay there he'd be sore in the morning. You hovered over the sleeping man and poked your finger lightly against his cheek.

"Levi." You whispered, bending down close to his ear. "Get up."

"Mhm..." He grumbled quietly, furrowing his eyebrows before returning to his previous unresponsive state. You laid your hand on his back and gave him a few gentle pushes.