Chapter Twelve

Your eyes fluttered open to the dimly-lit room of the captain's. You stirred a bit, noticing you were laying on his bed. You tried to not get flustered over the fact that you were laying on his bed, where he slept each night. He was sitting at the desk, back towards you, but once he heard you were moving, he spun around and got up to hover over you.

"Hey, (Y/N), are you awake? What the hell happened?" He said in his concerned voice. His dark eye-bags looked worse than normal.

You reached your hand up to his face and rested it on his cheek. "You need sleep..." You mumbled. Normally he would remove your hand from him, but not this time.

He laid his hand on top of yours. "Don't worry about me, idiot, you literally passed out in the middle of the training ground. What is going on with you? You've been messed up all day. First with the sleeping till noon, then the weird dream..."

"Speaking of dreams..." You started. "I think I had it again. But it was different. This time, it was real."

"What are you talking about?" He was full of questions tonight. Well, it might not even be night. You couldn't even tell anymore.

"When I was standing there, and you were calling my name, it felt just like the dream. It was even dark all around me, because it's night outside. And then, when you were coming closer, that was all the same too. My limbs started feeling heavy as well. And then you got to me, I think, and then I can't remember anything after that." You let your hand drop back down to the bed.

"Funny thing is, I think the voice was supposed to be you the whole time. I just didn't put the pieces together right away." You said.

Levi just stared at you in silence with furrowed brows.

 Finally, he spoke. "You... scared me." He confessed.

"Someone should write that down. I just broke a record." You laughed weakly. He just shot you a look. "Anyway, I'm fine now." You sat up on his bed, and took a look around the room. You realized you had never actually been in here before. He had always been the one to come to you. Technically, he still came to you this time, but just brought you back to the closest cabin. It was pretty empty, save for the small stack of letters on the desk.

"What are those?" You asked.

"Correspondence from HQ."

"Can I see some of them?"

Levi shrugged. "I guess there's no harm in that." He reached over and grabbed the one at the bottom of the pile. "Here. Knock yourself out."

You had to squint to read because the light was so dim, but you could still make it out.

Hanji,

This is the second day I am watching over the new recruits at the training grounds. Shadis is beating them down as hard as ever. A lot of them have already dropped out.

However, I have noticed a group of them who seem different. They might be promising. I will be watching them with great interest for the near future.

Please see to it that my office is regularly dusted while I'm gone.

-Levi

You chuckled at the last bit about cleaning. Levi's still Levi even in writing. You took the next envelope from the stack he was holding in his hands. He was content just watching you react to the letters.

"Hold on," You said. "If you sent these letters, why do you have a copy of them?" You asked. 

"It's standard procedure. You should always make two copies of a letter, so that both parties can view the full story." He said. You took the next envelope from the stack he was holding in his hands. He was content just watching you react to the letters.