Chapter Thirty-One

You had stopped for a brief meeting in a clearing, still out in titan country. All of the soldiers were posted around the core, and if anyone saw a titan you were packing up immediately. There didn't seem to be any, though. You walked over the soft grass to meet with Hanji, Erwin, and Levi. Mylius came with you as your second hand. You listened to Erwin's plan; careful to catch every detail. If you didn't hear something, Mylius would. He was always excellent with directions.

After Erwin was finished speaking, you all saluted him and he walked off toward his horse. You didn't need to set off yet, but Mylius took his leave toward your other 9 soldiers. Hanji followed Erwin to ask some follow up questions, which left you and Levi standing alone. He held his hand out for you to shake.

You took it and looked at him quizzically. "Why so formal, Captain?" You smiled.

"I am commending you for your excellent work, squad leader." He tried to keep up the charade for a second, but it soon fell away. He turned your hand around in his, noticing that the titan's blood had all but steamed off of your skin by now. "I could see you when you took down that abnormal. I must say I was impressed."

"Come on now, what were you expecting?" You put your hands on your hips. "I'm a natural at this stuff."

"Yeah." He said, looking pensive. "Just... don't get too comfortable. You're strong, but you're not immortal."

"I should say the same to you." You raised your eyebrows.

The man pursed his lips. "I'll see you on the other side, then." He said, taking a step backward toward his horse and his squad.

"Yes, sir." You playfully saluted.

Mylius and the others were waiting for you on their horses, then Erwin gave the order to start moving again. You would head back toward the wall, which hadn't been in sight for most of the day. It took several hours to cross the plains, and on the way you didn't see any more titans. Your first expedition as part of the scouts was almost a success. As soon as you reached the wall, all would be well.

What you saw instead when the wall came into view was a gaping hole through which all the titans were going through. It's happening again... you thought. This must be why you didn't see any titans on the way back. They were all busy pouring themselves into Trost.

Your heart sank. If the titans could just do this at any time, why did they wait five whole years to do it again? They could easily just destroy every wall and eradicate humanity with it. Your mind filled with questions that you'd never receive the answer to.

Erwin commanded the formation to become a force of two long horizontal lines aimed right at the wall. "FULL SPEED, SOLDIERS!" He yelled. The wall was still a ways away, so the titans surrounding the gaping hole hadn't noticed the entire scout legion barreling towards them yet.

As you neared the wall, you could hear loud crashes, accompanied by a titan scream. This one was different than the others for some reason. A few moments later, a boulder was smashed into the hole, plugging it indefinitely.

No one slowed down at all, and you were basically on top of the titans at this point.

"We're heading straight for those titans!" Altiena yelled from behind you.

"How are we going to get past them?!" Silva yelled, significantly more collected, but you could still hear the fear lacing her voice.

You searched for Levi in the lineup. He was a couple dozen horsemen away from you, next to Erwin. You couldn't rely on his strength alone to save you if anyone faltered.

"Trust your training!" You yelled back at your squad. "I have a feeling the commander will tell us to scale the wall! If we come up to the Titans fast enough, they won't notice us and we can get past them!"