Short: Unwanted Fairy Godmother

Year 844.

"(Y/N), Come in here!" A woman's voice called from around the corner. Sofia Voss. You hated her, but she did provide you with your only income, so you're bound to her wishes. 

You rounded the corner and appeared in front of her instantaneously. The roots of her brown hair were turning gray, and her face showed hints of forming wrinkles. You had to admit that she was still quite youthful-looking for her age. She bit her lip, eyeing you up and down. Usually she'd call you over to relinquish some kind of job onto you.

She lifted the needle she had just been sewing with, and waved at you like it was a wand. 

"We need to do something about your appearance." She said. 

What?

"Ma'am, what do you mean?" You said, trying to sound respectful. 

"Well," She said, getting up from her chair and pacing around you. "No man's going to bat an eye at you when you look like this." She lifted a finger under a lock of your hair, then let it slide off of her hand.

"Why do I need men to look at me?"

She gasped, as if you had just offended her cherished relative or something. "(Y/N)! You must always dress to impress the opposite sex! You've got to find a good man to marry and settle down with!"

"I'm sixteen." You said. "Plus, I don't think I'd attract a good man if all he bases things off of are how I look."

Sofia clicked her tongue. "You're young. All the more reason to start now. If you start dressing and fixing yourself up properly, you'll have any man eating out of the palm of your hand in no time."

You sighed. "That's not even something I want right now, Mrs. Voss."

"Ms. Voss." She corrected you. You made the mistake on purpose, though. "Well, someday you're going to want it. And then, you'll be sorry you refused my help." She stood up straight and lifted her chin. 

"Fine." You sighed. She's paying you to be here; might as well try out whatever she's advocating for.

"First things first," She said, standing up and waving a ruler at you, "Stand up straight. You can't be hunched over like that."

You adjusted your stance to her liking. "Good, good. You take direction well." She said. "Now." She spun and ran into the room behind her, shuffling around. She yelled form around the corner. "You're going to need something nicer to wear, dear! None of those drab gray rags you come in here with every day." 

You would love to spit back at her some kind of retort about how you can't afford better clothes, but if being nice means she might give you some for free, you'll keep your mouth shut. She was right, though, it wasn't good business for her when you show up in a ripped gray tunic and tan slacks. Your shoes had been broken for a while, but you kept fixing them with twine. It wasn't a good look by any means, but it's all you could do. Most of the money you got from this place went to your mother's medication, anyway. The good Doctor Yeager's prices weren't cheap by any means.

She flitted back into the room, holding a bright pink dress by the shoulders. It had little white and green lace decorations around the neckline and sleeves. 

You almost hurled right then and there. This was not something you'd pick out for yourself. Nevertheless, you reached out for it. 

She pulled it away from your grasp. "Ah ah ah, a lady isn't complete with just the dress. All kinds of things need to go under it!" 

You mentally groaned. It was a good thing business was slow today. You put on a fake smile for Sofia. "Like what?" You pretended to care.

"Well, you need a nice pair of white stockings, some better shoes... and we need to do something about that rat's nest on top of your head."

You lifted a hand to your hair. Sure, you hadn't really styled it much today, but rat's nest? Seriously?

She laid the dress down on the table, then opened a chest full of who-knows-what. She stood up holding all kinds of cosmetics in her hands- makeup, brushes, ribbons... you couldn't possibly understand why she would need all that stuff. You looked fine the way you were. 

But you didn't argue. About a half an hour later, when she turned you towards the mirror, you could barely recognize yourself. Heavy makeup surrounded your eyes and lips, and your hair was up in some over-the-top do. If you had the choice, you'd never look like this another day in your life. 

You were even more of a different person once you had the dress on. You had to admit it was quite cute- just not for you. You felt like a doll, and not in a good way. You were about to rip the thing off when the bell rung at the front of the shop. 

"(Y/N)? Time to go, my mom's making stew tonight- oh!" Mylius gasped, almost dropping his bag of groceries on the ground. You had completely lost track of the time- your shift ended ten minutes ago, and you were supposed to go to Mylius's house for dinner tonight. 

Mylius's mouth hung wide open in pure shock. You gave him a little wave. 

"My, what a strapping young man you are! Here to whisk away precious little (Y/N)?" Sofia exaggerated her words. 

Mylius's eyes flickered over to you, and you frantically nodded at him, telling him to just play along. He cleared his throat. 

"That's right, Ma'am. (Y/N)'s my fiancé. I was just about to take her home." He played the part expertly.

You stifled a laugh, and you saw him do the same, raising a hand to his mouth. She bought the story, though, bringing her hands to her chest and spinning around emphatically. She grasped your hands in hers and jumped up and down. 

"(Y/N)! You didn't tell me you were already engaged! What was all that talk about 'not wanting to attract the male gaze' earlier then?"

You quick thought of an excuse. "Well, I said all that stuff because I'm already taken. I don't need any more advice."

She smiled. "Aw, my little (Y/N)'s in love! And now you're all dolled up for a romantic date! Doesn't she look ravishing, young man?" She turned to Mylius, who looked like he could keel over laughing at any moment. To him, you looked like a clown. 

The master actor retained his composure. "She looks beautiful. Thank you, ma'am, for fixing her up like this." He extended a hand dramatically toward you, bowing down to hide his giveaway smile. "M'lady?"

You could barely contain yourself. You looked to Sofia, who waved her hand for you to go. You were relieved she was done with you. As soon as you shut the door and walked a few steps away, you and Mylius fell to the ground in a fit of laughter. 

"You... look... insane!" Mylius choked out between laughs. 

You couldn't even speak, the comedy of the situation was too much for you. After you had calmed down, you spoke. "But, hey... I got free clothes from it!" 

"Pfft- yeah, clothes you'd never actually wear. Come on, I can't wait for mom to see this whole getup you've got going on. She's sure to get a hoot out of it." He picked up his grocery bag from the ground and hoisted you up as well. The dress got a little dusty, but you didn't mind. You preferred a little worn look, after all. People should know you weren't afraid to get your hands dirty.

You hooked your arm in Mylius's, falling into step with your best friend. He mulled on and on about his day at the bakery, and you looked forward to the delicious meal his mom was sure to be serving you soon.

~

Thanks for reading! This one was nice and short- just some fun friendship time with Mylius.