Chapter Thirteen

You sat in the infirmary in the evening, waiting for the nurse to do her final check-ups on your ankle. Today would mark the end of two weeks of your being out of action. You couldn't wait to start running again after she cleared you to go.

Captain Levi sat beside you, just as eager for the nurse's conclusion. He tapped his foot on the ground in anticipation.

"Alright," The nurse said finally as she looked up from her clipboard. She smiled sweetly. "You should be all good to go, (Y/N). You really healed up good."

A smile spread across your face as you leaped off of the cot, still subconsciously careful with your ankle. There was reason to celebrate, but no reason to be rash. You turned your face to Levi, who leaned back with a look of satisfaction on his face.

You bounced on your feet, eyes locked on him as if asking permission to go out and run. He waved his hand in the air, which meant 'Go ahead.'

You burst out of the infirmary and sped over to the training grounds, where your fellow cadets just happened to be running laps. They were about fifteen in, so your excitement made some of them want to hurl. Nevertheless, most of them were glad to see you were back, so you joined them.

"H-hey," Silva huffed, coming up behind you. "Does this mean..."

"Yeah." You said. "I'm leaving tomorrow. But we don't have to think about that right now. I'm just excited to be with everyone again. I was about to go insane if I had to spend one more day laying in bed."

Silva laughed. After about ten more laps, Shadis ordered everyone to stop, and despite your comrades' exhaustion, they were happy to see you. You accompanied them in performing their cool-down stretches, which is a practice they picked up from you and continued when you were gone. It made you happy that they'd be thinking about you even when you left to join the scouts. It was bittersweet.

Altiena hung all over you, not being able to contain herself. Her rough physical love was too much for your injured self, but now that you were healed she couldn't hold back. She tackled you to the ground with hugs at least four separate times before you reached the mess hall for dinner.

Mylius practically passed out when he sat down at your usual table. He had been sluggish today because he was also anxious about your ankle being healed, so Shadis naturally worked him extra hard. This gave Altiena the perfect chance to baby him, almost to the point of forcefully spoon-feeding him his dinner. Renko and Jun also joined you at the table, earning suspicious glances from Silva and Ella.

"So, (Y/N), we heard you'll be leaving us tomorrow." Renko said.

Jun whined. "When were you gonna tell us? We're buddies, right?"

"Tch." You said, noticing the vocabulary adoption from the captain. "I'm no better friends with you guys than Jun was with that toad the other night."

This caused Mylius and Renko to laugh, and the girls' faces lit up with intrigue. You raised your eyebrows at the two boys, encouraging them to tell the story.

They embellished your heroism, but you weren't about to argue.

Suddenly, you felt a shadow move on your left, and a body plop down on the bench beside you. Your whole table fell silent, staring at whatever just joined you. You slowly moved your eyes to the left, and you couldn't believe it.

It was Levi.

Your friends overreacted, but it was still a funny spectacle. Altiena, Renko, and Jun all dropped their silverware and saluted nervously, Ella and Mylius sat slack-jawed, and Silva stopped mid-chew, suppressing laughter.