Short: Nightmares

Levi's POV.

Blood.

Isabel's decapitated head stared back at me from the bloodied grass surrounding it. This was an image I was familiar with. Isabel's head and Furlan's mangled body haunted me nearly every night. It's essentially why I don't put much confidence in sleeping.

It's hardly refreshing.

And just like every night, I slipped out of bed, shrugged on a jacket and shoes and took off outside. It didn't matter to me that it was cold, if anything it helped keep my mind off what I saw. I let the freezing night wind of late fall lick the bare skin of my legs as I walked aimlessly through the courtyards and fields.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't escape the images. Isabel and Furlan weren't the only bodies I saw. Behind them, in the smoggy dreamscape, laid every soldier I'd served with who's perished.

I attempted focusing my mind something else- something that I actually enjoy. I imagined the scene of a freshly-brewed pot of tea sitting on top of a clean counter. Usually this image calms me down, but I still felt like I was lacking something.

And of course, my mind drifted to (Y/N). She had only been at headquarters for about a month, but it only took her that long to gain the favor of most everyone here. Not only that, she's occupied my thoughts during every peaceful moment I have. I'd complain if it were someone else, but it's (Y/N). I can't bring myself to object.

I reflected on the memories of just the little bit of time that I've known her for, but it was enough to make me completely forget about the haunting scenes of my nightmares. Now that I no longer needed a distraction, the cold became too much for me, and I stepped back inside, ready to take another stab at sleep.

~

The next night

~

Blood.

A decapitated head stared back at me from the bloodied grass surrounding it. I smelled the scent of decomposing flesh and rotting titan bodies. Something was off about the decapitated head on the ground. I looked closer.

It wasn't Isabel.

I couldn't believe what my eyes were telling me.

It was (Y/N).

I closed my eyes, hoping to just wake up from this dream already. Usually at this point I'd shot up in a cold sweat, but nothing was happening. The nightmare wasn't ending.

(Y/N)'s head rose from the ground in front of me, attaching to her body that had been previously discarded to the side. Never had I seen such a disgusting sight. I wanted to turn away, to run, to scream, but I couldn't. I couldn't take my eyes off of the abomination in front of me, and then it spoke.

"This is your fault." (Y/N) said, but it sounded nothing like her. This wasn't the sweet young woman I know. This was just a cruel imitation of her.

"You did this to me." She insisted. She started to sound more like herself now, and she looked more... alive. The undead parts of her looked like they were restoring themselves. She inched closer to me and I couldn't back away.

"Why didn't you save me?" She whimpered, her voice sounding identical to the one I knew. Her eyes were full of sorrow. She looked real. I wanted to reach out for her, to ask what was wrong and what I did, but again, I wasn't in control here.

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. In fact, I felt suffocated. She was being pulled away from me as the ground disappeared beneath our feet. The bloody grass was swept away, being replaced by pure blackness. I saw fear grow in her eyes and she started pleading.