Chapter Two

"Here, (Y/N), It's all I could find." Mylius said, handing you a piece of bread in the crowded marketplace.

 All of the refugees from Wall Maria had fled to Wall Rose, after the Armored and Colossal Titans destroyed the wall. You were feeling weak since you hadn't eaten in days, but your determination was keeping you alive. That, and Mylius's coolheadedness. 

You made the bread last, eating half of it and putting the rest in your pocket. Your hand brushed up against a piece of paper; your fingers unfolded the crumpled drawing of your child self's imagination.

But it doesn't have to be just an imagination. You looked up, hoping to find some inspiration within yourself to move forward. In the distance you saw the same small man that you noticed coming in with the scouts on that day, standing on a roof. He was looking at you.

I need to talk to him so that I can register for the scouts!  You thought. You nudged Mylius, who was still working on half of his loaf of bread. 

"That man is in the survey corps. Maybe if we talk to him, we can get a leg up!"

"I hate to break it to you, (Y/N), but it's not like people are fighting to be part of the death legion." Mylius said nonchalantly. "Military police are the only sought-after position for a cadet. I'm sure as long as we can barely operate ODM gear, they'd send us out with the scouts no problem."

"Still..." You said, glancing up again to where the man stood. But he was gone. What you hadn't noticed was that he came down and stood not too far away from you and your friend, watching.

"Look, they're taking volunteers right over there for training. Maybe if we do that, we can bypass the physical labor they're making the refugees do." Mylius said, pointing to a corner where a few soldiers stood yelling something you couldn't hear.

"That sounds like a plan, old buddy." You said, trying to lighten the mood. Your friend hadn't cracked the slightest smile since that day.

He sighed and pushed off the wall he was leaning on, and the two of you headed over and signed up for military training. The soldiers told you that it starts in a few days, and your anticipation boiled inside you. All that was left was to train hard, and then you'd be able to fight real titans. You could even  imagine getting back to your home, if it's not destroyed... 

You thoughts flashed back to your mother. 

"Oh, okay. Goodnight, honey." was the last thing you ever heard her say. There's no way she got out of Shinganshina alive. Your heartstrings pulled at you, but you had to make a hard call. At least Mylius wasn't holding it over your head.

Suddenly you saw a quick flash of dark green fabric turn a corner down an alleyway. It looked like the man from the scout legion!

Mylius was busy talking to a few other new recruits, so you slipped away to follow the man without a word.

Finally you caught up to him, and huffing, you said "Wait!"

The man stopped, seemed to hesitate, and then turned around. His facial expression was unreadable. Was that annoyance, perhaps?

While you gathered yourself, you took in his appearance, which you finally got to see up close. His black hair just barely covered parts of his eyes, and he had an undercut style. His thin, gray eyes glared at you, and his folded arms and body language told you he wished you didn't catch up to him. There was something familiar about his eyes that you couldn't place.

The man was surprisingly short for how intimidating he looked. You guessed most people were too scared of him to say anything about his height.

Despite his apparent aversion towards you, he was quite attractive.

You realized you had been quiet for far too long. 

"What...?" He said in a bored tone.

"You're from the scouts, right?" You said, trying to hide the excitement in your voice.

He avoided looking in your eyes. "That's right."

Hm. Usually someone would follow that up with a question. This guy isn't very conversational. 

"Well," you said, "I'm (Y/L/N)."

He just glared at you. 

"I'm a future scout!" You said saluting with confidence, trying to pull some reaction out of this man.

"Tch." He said, rolling his eyes. That's it.

"Excuse me?" You dropped the salute. "That's what you say? Tch?! Usually when someone tells you their name it's polite to introduce yourself as well. It's a good thing I already have my heart set on the scouts, because any other recruit would be completely turned off by your demeanor!" 

He raised an eyebrow, still glaring.

"And another thing, why don't you talk to me? I'm trying to create some dialogue here, pouring out my intentions as a future soldier, and you just look at me like I'm an idiot. What's all that about? Honestly!" You said, using excessive hand gestures to convey your frustration.

He suddenly looked at you with what you could only guess was intrigue. He extended an arm to you, holding out his hand. 

"Levi." He said. 

In what felt like slow motion, you shook his hand. It was almost like you could feel his strength just from one touch. This man was powerful in more ways than one.

"I'm looking at you like you're an idiot because you are one. A pretty young woman like you doesn't belong in the scout legion."

Did he just call me pretty? Wait, he also called me an idiot. I guess that evens things out. You thought.

He let go of your hand and started turning back around. 

"Hey!" You said, a mixture of anger and excitement in your tone. "I'm not done with you. You'll see me again. Just you wait." You continued rattling off similar phrases as he sighed and continued on his way.

Once you could no longer see his green cloak, you looked at the hand he just shook.

Levi.

You felt your cheeks heat up, but you couldn't place why. You gently slapped your face with your hands to knock yourself out of your funk.

"(Y/N)! There you are." Mylius said, out of breath. "What are you doing?" 

"I, uh," You stammered a bit. Why am I so nervous? "I chased after that man in the scout uniform. To be honest, he was kind of rude." There's no point in hiding anything from your best friend. 

"Did you catch his name?"

"Levi."

"Just Levi? No last name?"

What a jerk. The guy didn't even value you enough to tell you his last name?

"Wait. I've heard the name Levi before. They say he's the strongest and scariest one in the whole legion! Levi... Ackerman, I think. Some of the new recruits were talking about him. He's a captain, you know." Mylius said. 

That guy... was a captain? That explains why he seems to act like he's better than everyone else. Why was he hanging around refugees, though?

You'd never get these answers standing in an alleyway. The only way would be to join the scout legion and ask the man himself.

For some reason you had the urge to be so successful that you could rub it in Levi's face someday. He told you that you don't belong in the scout legion. Ha!

I'll show him. Just you wait, Levi. 

_

End of Chapter 2. Thank you for reading! Let me know what you think!