Chapter Eighteen

You knocked on the captain's door twice and waltzed in, seeing him already sitting as his desk with two cups of tea, one set on the side of the desk you sit at. You plopped down in the chair and sighed, loudly.

He looked up from his paperwork. "Yes?"

"Oh, man..." you flopped your arms onto the desk, "I love Hanji, but sometimes I just want to rip my ears off of my head."

"Yeah, well. That's how she is, (Y/N). Thought you'd know that by now." He said. "Anyway, I appreciate you coming here, but I don't really have any more paperwork for you to do for this week. So enjoy your work-free weekend."

Your eyes lit up. "Whoo!" You pumped a fist in the air like a child, even though you were two decades old. You relaxed in the chair, and took the cup of tea in your hands, careful not to spill. Levi pushed aside the last piece of paperwork he was working on, and then finished off his tea.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair, folding his hands behind his head. Levi had no problem being comfortable and lax around you, and the feeling was mutual. It was strange because you worked your hardest around Levi, but then you also were able to relax around him. You enjoyed the versatility of your relationship.

"I'm going to be turning 21 soon. That means we can get wasted together, cap." You joked.

He brought a hand to his face to cover his eyes. "Ugh, I'm getting old." He groaned.

"What do you mean, 'getting' old? You've been there for a while, overlord." You said. He chucked a balled-up piece of scrap paper at you.

"How are your little friends doing at the training corps? Did you tell them you'll be there yet?" He asked, trying to change the subject.

"Well, to my knowledge they're the same. And yeah, I wrote to Mylius that I'm coming soon. What is it, two weeks until I head out?"

Levi nodded. "Then you'll have to make sure to write letters to me when you're there."

"Does that mean I'll actually get my own supplies finally?" You asked.

"...Yeah." He said. He seemed a bit disappointed, like you gave off the impression it was a hassle to come to him to write your letters. But that was not your intention.

"Not that I don't like coming here, Levi. You know this is my favorite part of the day." You could swear his eyes sparkled a bit when you said that.

"Mine... too." He said.

"Aww. How nice. Who could have imagined Captain Levi enjoying another person's company?" You teased.

"Tch." He rolled his eyes.

The conversation lulled, and you started looking around his office, which rarely changed. That means the slightest difference stood out that much more. And it did. Under a neat stack of papers, you saw a couple of detailed drawings that Levi must have done, but it was of people you had never seen before. The two portraits depicted a girl with brown hair in pigtails, and a man with blonde hair.

You let your curiosity get the better of you. "Who are they?" You said, pointing at the two drawings on his desk. He practically ripped them off the surface, quickly hiding them from your sight.

"No one."

"Oh, come on. You can't pull something like that and not expect me to be suspicious. But if you want me to leave it alone, I will." You said.

He nodded. You got up from you seat and moved to Levi's side of the desk, and opened one of his drawers. This one was pretty much designated specifically for you, since it only housed your letters and some books that you read in his office during downtime. You rarely ever spend any time at all in your room alone. You chose one of the books from the drawer and took your seat again.