Chapter Five

You woke up in your bed, inside of the girl's cabin in the barracks. You had a few moments of peace before remembering the immense pain coming from your left ankle.

Your ankle was properly swollen, and you could feel the blood pumping through it. 

"She's awake." You heard Silva whisper, and then someone shuffled behind you. Soon, Altiena stood next to your bed, pressing a bag of ice on your ankle.  

"Good morning!" She said, her cheery disposition seeming almost sickly at this morning hour.

"Good morning...." You mumbled groggily. "Altiena, how did I get back here? Wasn't I just in the infirmary?" You asked. 

"That was last night, already, silly. Captain Levi insisted that he carry you here. No one dared to stop him." She said. Captain Levi... insisted? 

The two other girls gathered around your bed, smiling for some reason. They looked at each other, and you almost yelled at them to demand what's going on. 

"Happy birthday, (Y/N)!" They all exclaimed at the same time. Your eyes widened. You had completely forgotten that it was today you turned 18 years old. Something as trivial as your birthday was completely out of your mind these past few weeks. 

Mylius must have told them; there's no way he'd ever forget about your birthday. 

"Guys, thank you," You said, as Altiena leant down to give you a hug. You could tell she was really holding it in beforehand. The embrace felt really nice. It seemed everyone was a little touch-starved nowadays. "This really means a lot to me."

"Sorry your birthday kinda sucks. I mean, you can't even really go anywhere but the bathroom." Silva said. 

"Thanks, Silva, for the nice reminder." You laughed. "I wish I could have at least gone to see the sunset or something. Oh well."

"Sorry, (Y/N)." Said Altiena, her voice muffled as she buried her face in your hair.

"Sadly, we can't stay. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm jealous of you, getting to lay in bed while we train outside." Ella confessed, tapping Altiena on the shoulder.

"If I could trade places with you I would, Ella. I'm probably the last person here who would actually want to lay in bed all day." You stated as Altiena left your embrace.

"Ugh," Ella groaned, trudging towards the window, looking at the other cadets sleepily leave the barracks. "It's time to go, guys. We should let (Y/N) rest now."

Altiena backed away, her eyes so full of longing you thought she might cry. At least now that you're bedridden, Mylius will have no choice but to only talk to her. This might actually work in her favor, even though it's clear she's just sad her friend is laying in bed with an injury.

"I'm going to eat lunch super fast so I can come say hi to you, (Y/N)!" She said. "And, I'll bring Mylius!"

"Thanks, Altiena," You said. "You're really too sweet to me."

Your friends bid goodbye to you one by one, each filing out the door, leaving you completely alone.

"That makes me sad," Altiena whined once they had walked a ways away from the cabin. "I know how much she really wants to be here." 

"That's more than you can say for a lot of us." Grumbled Silva, shoving her hands in her pockets.

"Hey, is that Captain Levi?" Exclaimed Ella, squinting at the small man walking towards the barracks.

"Yep. The man himself." Silva remarked, quietly enough so that he didn't hear her.

"Captain!! Captain Levi!" Altiena yelled, jogging towards the man. He looked annoyed, but seeing as he knew she was a friend of (Y/N)'s, he stopped and looked towards the girl.