Chapter Fourteen

It was the next morning, and you had woken up early to pack all of your belongings before the rest of the girls woke up. There wasn't really much to pack; just a few extra clothes and toiletries.

You watched the faces of your friends wake up in the next few minutes, then you waited for them to get themselves ready for the day. This would be the last time you're doing this for a long time.

Despite the heavy hearts, the four of you joined up with Mylius, Renko, and Jun, and headed off to the mess hall as normal. Everyone laughed and joked as if it were just another day, but then soon the hall emptied of all the cadets but the seven of you. Shadis was aware that you were leaving, and he found it in his heart to pull one courteous gesture to let your friends say goodbye to you before formally sending you off.

Renko and Jun gave you quick hugs before you were snatched away by Altiena, tackled onto the floor. Ella and Silva joined in the group hug.

Silva leaned into your ear. "You better get some."

You blushed and shooed her away from your face as she chuckled proudly.

Eventually Ella and Silva managed to pry a crying Altiena off of you, and then it was Mylius's turn to say goodbye.

"So, this is it, huh." He said.

You propelled forward and enveloped the taller boy in a hug. "I'm gonna miss you the most." You whispered.

He chuckled and whispered back. "You'd better."

You stayed like that for a while, not wanting to let go of your other half just yet. You knew either of you wouldn't exactly feel lonely without each other, but you would still miss each other a lot.

"You better tell me everything about the scouts when you get there. I want juicy details, (Y/N), juicy." He said, leaving the embrace finally.

Levi poked his head around the door of the mess. "Cadets." Everyone's attention snapped to him. "Come on. We don't have all day." He motioned the seven of you to come with him.

Commander Shadis stood in front of the other cadets, who were lined up. You and your friends fell into formation, and Levi took his place beside Shadis. It was even more obvious how short he was when he stood next to people like that. You imagined it would be a similar case with Commander Erwin.

"Today we are losing one of our recruits!" Commander Shadis yelled, and a low mumble fell upon the cadets. Everyone except you and your friends wondered who this person could be. "I am giving a formal send-off to one of our finest recruits, (Y/N/L/N)." He said. Many eyes turned back and stared at you.

"Don't let her absence weigh you down, soldiers! I expect you all to rise up and fill in her empty shoes!" Shadis yelled.

Captain Levi cleared his throat beside him. "Cadet (L/N) has been offered membership in the scout regiment early, and she will be accompanied by Captain Levi, who I'm sure you're all acquainted with by now. Say your goodbyes quickly; they will be off soon. You have five minutes, cadets." The commander stepped away.

A few cadets who you'd only had short exchanges with lamented about your departure from the group. You told them that you'd send letters, and that your friends can share them with everyone if they want. This little detail seemed to make a lot of people content. Most of them weren't as set on what regiment they wanted to go to, but they all wanted a little taste of something beyond just training.

Levi stood in the distance, just in front of the horse stables, where he had prepared two horses, one carrying your belongings on its saddle.

You gave all of your close friends one last teary-eyed goodbye hug, then took off to jog over to Levi.