Chapter Eleven

You laid in bed, the sky black as night; but as Levi said, you had a hard time getting to sleep. You had slept so much during the day that you felt way too energized now to lay down and rest.

You sat up, glancing at the moonlit faces of Ella, Silva, and Altiena. They knocked out almost immediately after dinner today. Shadis must've worked them extra hard. You couldn't wait until you could start training again. All this sitting around made you feel winded far quicker than before. 

Earlier today, you told Levi you'd come with him to the scout regiment. You still couldn't believe it.

You tiptoed out of bed, slipping on some shoes and a coat, since the midnight chill was sure to be colder than the daytime. You quietly left the cabin, careful not to disturb your friends. 

Your limp was still noticeable, but not too bad. Walking by yourself should be fine.

You only had a few seconds to think so before someone grabbed your shoulders and pulled you to the side of a building, covering your mouth with their hand. This was new.

Once your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you could see them. It was two of your fellow cadets, Renko and Jun, roommates of Mylius. To your knowledge they weren't all that dangerous, so you saw no point in making a fuss. Jun lifted a finger to his mouth, and Renko slowly removed his hand from your face. You glared at them, awaiting some kind of explanation. 

"What is this?" You hissed. You noticed the beads of sweat on Jun's face. 

Renko slowly lifted his pointer finger towards the forest. "There's some kind of noise in there..." He whispered. 

"Okay...?" You said. "Why did you need to go all kidnappy on me, then? Stop being babies and go back to bed. It's late."

"(Y/N)..." Jun whined. "It's too scary to sleep now! Y-you're the strongest one of us here, c-can't you go and check it out?"

You almost blew them off, but this could be interesting. 

"Fine," You sighed. "Stay behind me. You're coming too."

The boys whimpered, but nodded and followed you. You walked slowly to the edge of the forest, when you heard the noise. To you, it just sounded like some kind of animal cry. But Renko and Jun almost starting crying.

"Suck it up, guys. I'm trying to listen!" You whispered. They obeyed. It was nice to see that you still retained your credibility around here. The other cadets still respected you even while you were out of action. 

You reached the edge of the forest, squinting at the foliage below. The only light source was the moon, so it was hard to see. Suddenly you heard the noise again, much louder. Then, it was the rustle of leaves. 

You snapped your head toward the sound, instinctively jutting your arm out to grab the source. Renko was practically screaming, while Jun was frozen in shock. 

You cupped your hands together, then turned around to face the boys. Both of their faces were blue, almost as if they had just seen a ghost. You held out your arms and opened your hands to reveal a small brown toad. It was about the size of half of your palm.

You looked at the little guy, wondering why he was making such a loud noise. You tickled his head with your other finger.

Immediately, the boys' composures changed. They calmed down and leaned in to look at the toad, before it sprung out of your hand into the air, landing right on Jun's face. He proceeded to scream, while Renko fell onto the ground out of laughter. You practically doubled over after watching Jun's reaction.

Eventually the animal left Jun's face, retreating back to the edge of the forest. 

Your laughter subsided, and you wiped a tear from your eye. 

"Thanks, guys. That was fun." You said as you walked away. You saw Mylius come out of their cabin, rubbing his eyes.

"What is with all the noise back here? (Y/N)? What are you doing out right now? You should be sleeping!"

"I took a nap during the day so I'm not tired." You said. 

"What's so funny?" He asked, noticing your smile. 

"Oh, I'll let Renko and Jun tell you." He looked past you, noticing the two boys still recovering from the incident. Jun was yelling something about needing to scrub his face off. 

"Hey. I don't really think you should be walking around in the dark by yourself, you know. I know we're all cadets here, but you never know..." Mylius started. 

"Let me stop you there. I appreciate your concern, old buddy, but I think I can handle myself. If these two knuckleheads are any representation, I don't really have much to fear. Plus, everyone here knows I'm one of the strongest around. They wouldn't dare try anything on me." You needed to remind Mylius that you're not the little girl he grew up with anymore. He should know better than anyone that you could defeat any person here in a fight if it weren't for your injury, which would barely hinder you now. 

"Yeah, alright. I guess there is a reason you got special access to the scout regiment, huh?"

"You got it. And I'll be careful, just for you. Don't you worry about me." You said, lifting your arm to pat Mylius on the head. "Go back to sleep before you need me to sing you a lullaby."

"Please, no. I don't need that." He pleaded, remembering the time you offered to lull him to sleep with a song you composed yourself. It was back when you were kids, and you sang him a song about going to sleep to get the strength you need to kill titans the next morning. There was no way he'd want to subject himself to that again.

"Alright, then goodnight, Mylius."

"G'night." Mylius yawned, heading back into his quarters. 

You thought maybe the activity with Renko and Jun would have tired you out a little, but now you felt even more awake.

You walked all over the grounds, trying to stay on flat areas. You wanted to hike but you knew that if you happened to have some kind of problem on rocky ground, you wouldn't have Levi next to you like normal to help.

It also pained you how slow you had to move. You wanted so badly to run, but you didn't dare try and end up prolonging your recovery by messing up your ankle more. The best thing to do was to be patient and not work yourself too much, but it was so hard. 

You found yourself wandering onto the main training grounds, with Captain Levi's quarters in full view. You noticed light was emitting from his window. Did he leave a lantern burning while he was asleep?  You wondered. You almost walked over there, but you decided it really wasn't any of your business. You knew that he had trouble sleeping sometimes. This was probably just one of those times. 

But suddenly you heard the creak of a door, and in the distance you could see Captain Levi, fully awake and peering out at you. 

"(Y/N)?" His voice called out to you, sounding confused. This was not unlike your reoccurring dream, scarily enough.

The realization itself made your limbs start to feel heavy, and you dropped to the ground.

"(Y/N)!" The voice got louder and more desperate. But this time it didn't sound more distant. It was coming closer. It was becoming hard to see.

You saw nothing but black. The voice called your name again, and then you felt a sort of embrace. Then there was nothing.

End of Chapter 11! 

Renko and Jun are original characters that I made up for the sake of this story, not any existing characters from Attack on Titan.

Thanks for reading!