Chapter Twenty

You knocked on the door of the Section Commander's office. You heard some crashes before the door swung wide open, the madwoman grabbing your shoulders and pulling you inside.

"You're here!" She exclaimed. "I need your assistance today, (Y/N)! You've come just in time..."

You laughed. Her excitement never failed to help you get your mind off of things. "Alright, Hanji. What do you need me to do? I am your second pair of hands." You said, putting on a pair of work gloves.

She brushed papers off of her desk and shoved down her microscope, identifying certain things and asking you for your inputs as well. Hanji wasn't all just titan-crazy; she also loved general science and chemistry. The woman would regularly subject you to helping her with random experiments and tests, and today was no different. You loved to help her, though. Any gained knowledge is important knowledge. Hanging out with Hanji was like having a class with a cool teacher that never gave homework. It was ideal for you.

You spent a good portion of the day doing various scientific tests, going through different hypotheses and changing variables. You were Hanji's main recorder of events, so she relied on you to take detailed notes of her experiments. This allowed her to be fully engrossed in her work as you made sure you weren't missing any key elements.

But even Hanji gets worn out of herself after a while. She plopped down in her chair and shoved the microscope aside, careful not to mess with any precariously-placed chemicals.

"So...." She said, a glint in her eyeglasses. "What was with Levi this morning? He was acting different than usual."

Your face turned red.

"Aha!" She exclaimed, pointing a finger at the sky. "My hypothesis was correct!"

"Does everything have to be an experiment to you?" You groaned.

"No, my dear." Hanji said, folding her hands in front of her face, hiding her knowing grin. "But I do know a thing or two about the science of attraction."

"W-what?" You stammered. "Hanji, what do you mean?"

"Well, I already know about your little crush on the captain. So that's my independent variable. The dependent variable was Levi's feelings. But after today, I believe my suspicions have been confirmed."

"W-wait. You don't mean-" You stuttered.

"Our overlord has a little crush, (Y/N)." She purred. "Don't think I didn't notice you didn't show up this morning like you normally do. That, and Levi told me you were in his office this morning 'helping him with work.' But I know for a fact that he finished up all his paperwork because he reports it to me. I can see through his lies."

You were dumbfounded. She continued.

"Of course, he could have been lying and you weren't really with him this morning, right? But when Levi lies, he always tells a half-truth. So I think you were really with him, but not helping him with work. Is that correct?"

You nodded.

"I don't need to pry on what the two of you were doing, but hey. I'm no stickler for work relationships-"

"W-we weren't doing anything inappropriate! I-uh, I was in his office late last night feeling sad about missing my friends, and then it was so late in the morning he... he offered to let me sleep there instead of trying to go all the way back to my room. I was in there so late this morning because I went to bed late. Th-that's all." You managed to get everything out. You knew Hanji knew part of Levi's backstory, but you didn't want to tell her that's what you were up so late talking about.