Short: Thatcher

This story takes place a few months after your friends joined the scout legion.

"Man, today was rough." Renko complained as he flung himself onto his bed in the barracks. The others couldn't agree more.

"I could sleep for three days straight, no joke." Said Simon, one of their squad-mates. He slumped down onto the ground.

Jeremiah scoffed. "Don't sleep there, you'll be even more sore in the morning."

"Ugh..." Elias whined. "It's bad enough when (Y/N) is training us, but when Captain Levi is there too, sometimes I just wanna run away and hide."

"Guys, don't say stuff like that. You know the two of them just want us to be the best versions of ourselves. (Y/N)'s working her butt off every day for us, and the captain too. We should be grateful to even have the positions we do." Mylius said, shifting into lecture mode. He often became like this whenever the boys complained about training.

"I'm with Mylius." Renko said. "We didn't join the scouts for nothing. If you guys didn't want to be here, you'd leave."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Elias said. "It's just... the captain's so intimidating. I don't know how someone that small can scare us so much."

Mylius laughed. "Captain Levi may be short, but that's irrelevant to his abilities as a leader."

Suddenly a figure appeared in the open doorway. All of the boys froze in place, and they felt a cold shiver down their backs as the person spoke. "Thatcher." Levi demanded. "Come out here. Let's go on a walk."

Mylius's back was toward the door, so before he turned around he studied the worried faces of his comrades, trying to send them some kind of farewell message. He had no idea what the captain could possibly want him for. This could be the last time he sees his friends.

"I'm waiting." Levi said.

Mylius headed toward the captain, walking briskly past him to the outside. Levi closed the door behind him, and started walking in an undetermined path. They were silent for a few excruciating minutes. Mylius's head was full of doubtful thoughts, wondering if this was the end of the line. As much as he was dreading whatever Levi had to say to him, he was glad when the shorter man broke the silence.

"Tell me, are you enjoying your time in the scout legion?" Levi said in his staple bored tone.

Mylius couldn't believe his ears. Of all the things he was expecting Levi to say, petty small talk was not one of them. He gathered up all of his courage to come up with a normal response. "Well, I've only been here a few months, but yeah, you could say so."

"Good." Levi said.

Neither man knew how to carry on the conversation with each other, so there was another painful silence before Mylius broke it.

"Just out of curiosity, how much of the conversation we were having in the barracks did you hear?" Mylius asked. The desire to know was killing him.

"All of it."

Mylius gulped. "So... you heard me calling you short?"

Levi clenched his fists, but kept himself from knocking the wind out of Mylius. He was supposed to be being nice.

Mylius couldn't believe it. He'd witnessed Levi beating someone up before for calling him 'shorty,' but now he wasn't even retaliating with anything- not even a comeback insult. (Y/N) really must be rubbing off on him, eh? Mylius thought.

"I did... hear that. And I've elected to ignore it." Levi said through gritted teeth.

"Captain, forgive me if I'm being too forward, but why did you ask me to go on a walk with you?"