14

XV

FOURTEEN

FOURTEEN.
every story begins with tragedy.

1840

MOST CHILDREN SPEND their lives adoring their parents. Idolizing their heroes, wanting to become them when they grow old. Yet, some parents don't always leave a mark of heroism in every child's life.

      This was the case for Eden King.

      She was destined to a life of loneliness the minute she was born. Even being a twin, she still felt loneliness within her. There was nothing she found that would fix that gape in her heart.

     She was different than the rest of the kids in her coven. Who could produce magic like normal witches and warlocks were meant to be. Eden was much different, and because of her obscure way of practicing magic, she was turned away at a very young age.

      That wasn't the only trouble she faced.

      In the coven she was in, there was a legacy to be upheld by twins on their twenty-second birthday. They'd have to merge, in order to find the next coven leader. Meaning, only one would make it out alive.

      Her twin brother, Ezra King, had trouble initiating his magic. Unlike him, Eden was overwhelmed with what she was able to do. Unintentionally, siphoning items holding magic within them. People. When the coven and her family made the startling discover, there was no way to predict what fate the Gemini Coven may face.

      As long as Ezra King had trouble discovering his magic—Eden King carried the advantage. A distinct advantage that may lead to Ezra King's death.

The Gemini Coven couldn't allow a tainted soul like Eden King carry power over them all. Have their life be endangered by the fate of one.

There was no predicting what had to be done, but something had to happen to prevent Eden King from taking the pedestal.

Eden King tried to maintain a good behavior in the public eye. Vying for the support of others; Hoping for someone to have faith that little Eden King wasn't the danger everyone had seen. She was capable of leading, even if she had strange powers.

      Marlene and Alistair King couldn't believe all the publicity their family had achieved over one of their children. It was unimaginable how much power Eden King held over the Gemini Coven—and its wasn't good for either of them.

      They had never encountered the siphoning abilities with any other member. If they did, it was never spoken of again. Being parent to a peculiar child like Eden King, meant many hardships that they barely had any insight on how to handle.