26

XXI

TWENTY SIX

TWENTY SIX.
no one can hurt you more
than family.

     EDEN PACED AROUND HER DINNING ROOM, nervously chewing on her nail that was placed between her teeth. She nervously glanced between the sapphire necklace on the dinning table and her feet clicking against the wooden flooring; Back and forth.

Her mind was spiraling with possible threats she should prepare for. Now, that she had Louisa captured in the tunnel Marcel was locked in, with no means to let her out, there was no doubt her siblings would crawl out of the tunnel they've been hiding in. Only being a fear living in the back of Eden's head, as she awaited the moment they dare make an appearance.

     Eden felt like she was going insane, fearing people she hadn't seen in over a century. Last she ever laid her eyes on them, they were all merely children, learning the ways of their powers and a supernatural world they had yet to explore.

      Dominic heard the pacing of his dear friend as he rested upstairs. He walked down the stairs, rubbing his eyes tiredly. Eden abruptly stopped at the creaking of the wooden floorboards of the staircase. Dominic caught Eden's eyes, he expressed a small worried at her uneasy estate.

"Have you been up the whole night?" Dominic groaned, his voice a bit deep as he still tried to shake himself awake.

"Does it matter?" Eden questioned as she continued to pace back and forth.

"Vampires don't need the sleep, I'll be fine."

"No one needs the sleep, it doesn't mean it isn't satisfying for the body." Dominic spoke, walking around Eden and heading into the kitchen. He prepared a kettle with water, placing it on the stove to boil.

"What are you worrying about now?" Dominic questioned, leaning against the frame of the entry way between the kitchen and dinning room.

"Uh, nothing." Eden excused quickly. Dominic furrowed his brows. Eden was known to be closed off at times, but she had been distant the day they had moved back into New Orleans. She seemed on edge, jumpy, and overall suspicious.

Dominic caught a glimpse of the dainty necklace resting into the dinning table. He quickly rushed to grab it in his hands. Eden couldn't stop him, as he held it up in curiosity. He glanced back at Eden.

"What's this?"

Eden tried to reach out for it, as Dominic pulled it away from his grasp. Eden let out an irritated sigh. "Why do you care?"