29

XXVIII

TWENTY NINE

TWENTY NINE.
leverage isn't hard to find.

     AFTER THAT CONFRONTATIONAL night, Dominic Peterson had left in a huff. His brain was scattered in a multitude of thoughts and none of them seem to become permanent in the wake of his frustration and disappointment. Dominic didn't know what lead him to the place he ended in—as his concentration to where he was going didn't matter much to him.

   Dominic had found himself walking down the hall of a familiar apartment complex. He reached the door with the same gold numbers on the familiar oak door. He let out a sigh.

Had he known long ago things would turn out this way—he would've tried a lot harder to stand against Eden's wishes. Yet, he never could say no to her.

He questioned whether he was a fool for staying so long.

Everyone had warned him that staying with her—or even talking with her would only bring him grief a sorrow. An eternity of pain—but he had been living that way the minute his sister left, or when he woke up turned into a vampire. Certainly, staying with Eden couldn't be that bad.

Now, he wasn't so sure.

He placed his timid hand on the golden door knob, twisting it open. The door let out a slight familiar creek. His foot passed the threshold, and a wave of painful nostalgia crashed over him. He almost couldn't believe it.

After five years of loneliness and despair, he once again felt the same way; this time he had what he missed those years. Yet things still hadn't changed. Dominic was certain things would go back to the way things used to be. Where it was them against the world. The feeling of comfort and victory, of living yet another day. He missed it all.

The distant cold shoulder and hidden secrets were all he knew for the past weeks.

The heel of his shoe echoed as he stood in the apartment. The apartment seemed as dull as he did at the moment, alone without the person he's cared for the most in his century alive. His calm thoughts screamed for him to stop being an idiot and forgive Eden—because if he didn't he'd loose the only good thing he ever had.

And he couldn't bring himself to do it.

Every ounce of him telling him to run back, telling him he shouldn't have left just weren't enough. Betrayal is hard to forgive—especially from those you love most. He'd be a fool to go back. At least that what he thought.

    The comforting silence was stilled for a moment, and it seemed as events from before had softly left in the environment he sulked in. Dominic forgot what five years alone had done to him and suddenly he remembered what it was like before.