chapter three

unrest

He squeezed his eyes close at the sight before him. A similar scene played across his memories.

A day like this. Except it was hotter that day. He was not used to the heat, but he had not wanted his Jessalynn to know that.

It had just been him and her.

Was it real?

He could remember the look in her eyes. Remember every detail of what she was wearing, but instead of it feeling like a memory, it felt like something he watched from a distance.

Someone who looked like him had laid his head in her lap and stared up at her in wonder.

Why would he allow them to be outside of the boundary when it was so dangerous? Not only that, but he also remembered hating the thought of ever leaving their little oasis.

He took a deep breath and opened his eyes. His hands went behind his back as he braced his feet. The queen and her sister were now floating upon the water and laughing.

His queen did nothing that was expected of her and everything that was not.

From here she would not be able to see him, but he could stand guard over her. "Dezrick, I want men around this entire area."

"My King, my Queen has ordered that you be useful and fetch Jetidi for her, and then she wants you to watch over her sister as she runs some errands."

She followed no set of rules that he was aware of. She had no regard for her own safety. Nor did she care about appearances or traditions.

Would the day ever come that she would take her rightful place as queen?

At the question, he was filled with guilt. She has been through a lot. More than he even liked to think about. Because of his people and his traditions.

He closed his eyes again. She would be a good queen. He remembered believing that. Remembered having more faith in her than he had in his self.

Would anything ever be clear again? Would he ever feel like he was not two separate people who were suddenly shoved into the same body?

"I will agree to her request if she allows a guard to accompany her."

"My King, she says bite her. She is free to go wherever she chooses."

He would never wish to take her free will from her ever again, but her freedom meant he spent most of his days following her around to make sure she was safe.

The enemy could be anywhere, and his Queen was out in the open for anyone to harm.

"True, but where she goes, I go, unless she agrees. Run another scan." He ordered the wristband on his arm.

"Yes, my King. There are many, but each has been accounted for. My Queen says they are friends and that most are New Rulers. She wants to let them know we are here before they grow concern."

"Does she agree?"

"Yes, my King."

Laughing, she ducked her sister beneath the water, and his heart caught. For a moment, all he could think about was being closer. The sound of her happiness affected him in ways he could not understand.

"The guards are ready at your command, my King. My Queen refuses Frick, Godrick, or Karr to accompany her."

He was already moving his men into place. Alric appeared at the end of the dock. "Instruct my brother that he is to keep her safe at all costs but to allow her some lead way. He is to use his best judgement, but he is also to trust in her judgement."

The words were out before he knew he felt that way. He trusted her judgement.

"Send Fricka to watch over the child until I return. I know my Queen has refused to attend a guardsman ritual, but I want one scheduled for tomorrow. If we must do it without her, we will."

"Yes, my King. My Queen refuses to take your brother as her guard. She said you knew that before you sent him."

Had he? He sent his brother because he was one of his strongest. It seemed he did nothing but displeased his Queen.

"My Queen says never mind. She will suck it up. She wishes to see his gift. My King, she has advised me to tell you that you are not far enough away and your royalness, her word, is stinking up the place."

Kellum sighed and allowed himself one moment to close his eyes.

"My King, those tests you have been waiting for are in. A report and analysis have been prepared."

"Anything that needs to be seen to immediately?"

"Some areas of concern but nothing that cannot wait a few hours, my King."

He was only gone moments. Jetidi seemed to expect him and took his hand before he fully materialized.

When they reappeared, Jessalynn and Mel were gone from the pond. Jetidi bowed his head and headed for the forest. He knew where his mate was just as Kellum could feel that his was gone from this area.

"New Ruler Jetidi."

The boy paused and bowed his head again. "My King?"

"How were you able to help your mate remember her sister?"

The young boy looked out over the lake. "Our memories are like this pond. The advisors could only skim off the top. By making her remember special moments in her life, her memories were able to float back to the surface. The same kept happening to you as well. Random thoughts, certain things kept bringing her back to you."

What kind of man forgot his mate? He has asked himself that hundreds of times.

"Do not feel guilty, my King, you are a victim of the advisors just as she is. They had no right to do what they did. Treason was the least of their sins. No man should come between mates. You went lightly on them compared to what I would have done."

Kellum had a hard time hiding his surprise. First, at the boy knowing what he was thinking, then at the boy's words.

The boy looked to where he felt his mate. "She's waiting for me. She wishes to teach me how to catch a frog. I will not mention that I see no need to learn such a thing. I will allow her to show me, and one day I will cherish the memory. Sometimes a mate must admit that his mate's happiness is almost as important as her safety. One's mate is certainly more important than something as trivial as lowering one's standards and rolling up his sleeves so that he might learn to catch frogs. You learned that once before, my King. If you do not remember it soon, then you will learn it again."

"Thank you, New Ruler Jetidi. That will be all."

The boy bowed his head and continued on his way.

"Report." He ordered of the computer again.

"My Queen went home. Now she and the human Julian are located zero point eight miles southeast from this location. Four males and two females are present. I also detect another presence one hundred and ninety yards to the south of them, and one two miles to the north of them. Her blood pressure indicates that she is at ease."