chapter sixty-three

unbarring

Julian and Adrian were put on Jess duty.

Adrian was doing all the holding and trying to make her feel better, since Julian had just been told about their options.

The first fifteen minutes he raged and wanted someone to fight. Apparently, his victim of choice was Jai, but since he couldn't get to him, he wanted his mate. And not for comfort. He wanted someone he could scream at and not feel guilty about it.

She decided that was a good thing where their relationship was concerned.

His mood changed as soon as he realized she wasn't strong enough to go get Damous.

Julian knew how this work. Soon she'd have days where she could do nothing but lay still and try not to move.

"You were really sick before. Too sick, and that was when you could still feel him. Now you can't feel him at all. How bad is it going to get, Jess? Babe, I can't lose you."

"Babe, let's talk about something else. I get enough panic and doom from my guy. Let's talk about where your guy is tonight."

He was so worried that he couldn't manage his stern face. "Since you sent him there, I'm sure you know where he is."

"Lanie's dads were thrilled to talk to him. Dude needs some answers. Do you need some answers? They could make some drawings."

"I need you to be okay."

"I know."

After that was off his chest, he did what he always did. He went about getting her mind off her troubles. He's always believed that a pissed off Jess was better than a sad one.

"Let's go make mincemeat out of him. We can take him."

"Such a lie. We got lucky. Wouldn't do any good, anyway. Have you seen the New Ruler?"

"Damn."

She grinned. "Exactly what I said."

"I could almost understand it if I was attracted to him. He'd definitely be more my type."

They all looked up to see Damous and Aunt Sarah standing there. Damous was holding Thaddeus like he was a basketball but the evil one didn't seem to mind as he tried to poke Damous in the eye.

The guy looked devastated as he handed the baby over and left.

"He doesn't realize you're full of shit."

Julian looked pained at the thought of chasing after him, but she also knew it would pain him at the thought of not chasing after him.

"When are you going to stop making my same mistakes?" She asked with a shake of her head.

"I'm supposed to be here watching over you."

"Adrian is here. Go."

Her aunt watched him go with a weary smile, all while dodging her son's desire to poke someone's eyes out.

"No one ever learns from someone else's mistakes. They always have to learn from their own."

"Any advice on how I can help him?"

"Just let him learn it, honey. Usually, we need the lesson. You still look under the weather. Should we stay in tonight? I could make you soup."