chapter thirty-four

unwilling

Her guy was working his bonbons off, and she was playing. Nothing unusual about that.

After repeatedly getting attacked by Dra and Herns, and somehow holding his own, Julian was now outside, running laps with Dra. A lot of laps.

Pure insanity.

Instead of hiding under the bleachers, she was playing with the rest of the men in her life.

Or she supposed they might see it as torture.

Or at least they would if they were human.

Dame and Herns wouldn't think to tell her no, and Will didn't know any better and was just glad she was spending time with him.

"No, lift him up. Will, put one foot on Herns right shoulder and one foot on Dame's left shoulder. Boys, don't drop him. Keep your hand on his ankles. I wish we had someone to catch him if he falls."

She looked around but there was no one else and they only had a few moments before Julian would be back in sight.

"That's good! Will, hold your arms out and try to stand tall and proud. Smile."

Wearing a stupid grin, Jess went to Dame and gave him a pompom. "Here. Wave this around with your free hand."

He looked unhappy, but then again, he always did.

"That's good. Stay just like that. Is he too heavy?"

Damous raised an eyebrow at her, so she laughed. "Good. Remember, Will, chant loud so he can hear you."

"Anything for you, Karza."

"All three of you will be at the Stage tonight, right?"

"Yes, my Queen."

"Yes, my Queen."

"Of course, Karza. I can't wait to see you sing."

"Hear me sing. Okay, he's coming. Be ready and smile. You must smile. Dame, you're not smiling. At least shake your pompom like you mean it."

She wished she had a camera. This sight was priceless.

Only Julian didn't think so. He took one look, stopped, turned back the other way, and ran off.

"Okay, boys, you can let him down. I'll see you tonight."

Julian didn't get mad at her often, but boy when he did.

He ran all the way home and wouldn't let her catch up with him. When she had to stop to breathe, he kept going.

She was waiting in their room when he showed up. Without a word to her, he headed for the shower.

He got ten minutes, then she popped into the shower with him. Pushing her wet hair out of her face, she looked up at him. "Come on, you know that was funny."

He shrugged and went back to washing himself.

"Is it the short skirts that do it for you, instead of the pompoms?"

Instead of answering, he left the shower and grabbed a towel.

"You know you can't stay mad at me."