chapter twenty-three

unparalleled

            Staying busy helped. When she wasn't in class or helping with research, she searched for survivors.

            On the third day, she found Jedda. A medicine man. He was clothed in a loins cloth and covered in white clay and black paint. On his neck were several dozen wooden necklaces, and in his hand was a staff with a bird head on top of it. She was very sure it was a real bird head. Just dead now.

            She told her men to not make any sudden movements and to not be threatening.

            She was nervous, but she could also feel the man standing in front of her. He was as much a part of her as the other New Rulers.

            He bowed his head. "I've been waiting for you, My Queen. I am called Jedda."

            He was around her age.

            An older man dressed about the same as Jedda came forward.

            "This is my father. He's the elder medicine man of my tribe. He's here to extend you a welcome and invite you to stay for a meal with us."

            "I would be pleased to."

            "We are honored, my Queen. I have felt your coming for days and have prepared for my departure. My Shaman is wise and has granted me leave from my tribe and my duties here. Do you accept a request to gather with him?"

            "I do. These are my men and mean no harm. Damous, I'm going to go meet with the Shaman, you stay here."

            "My Queen___."

            "I know you will not like it, but I don't want you scaring these people. Jedda, I can see that your people don't have much. Would it be an insult to your shaman if I offered him supplies? I would also like to extend an invitation to any of your people who would like to journey with you."

            "They have their places here, my Queen, and will not leave. This is a journey I must make on my own. My shaman and my people would be honored to accept supplies."

            Most of his people spoke English and before the virus they had a teacher who came monthly to teach the children.

            His shaman was old and laid on top of several furs.

            "He says that his life is ending, and it gladdens his heart to see that his nephew is destined for greatness. He will accept your supplies if you accept his gifts."

            "I would be honored. Jedda, I would like for my doctors to look over him. There might be something that__."

            Jedda took her hand and with a smile he reached for a crude-looking knife that laid nearby. Luckily, she knew she could trust him.

            He made a cut on her finger. Small but deep. When he put the knife away, she was afraid she was about to become a blood bride or something. Closing his eyes, he took her hand into both of his.

            When he released her hand, the cut was gone, and only blood remained. "You're a healer?" She smiled.

            "I am."

            "So, you're saying that he can't be saved."

            "All bodies must weaken and grow frail. He has reached the end of his time, as we all must one day. His death will mean another is born in his place."

            "Are you the reason your tribe is healthy? Were you able to fight off the virus?"

            "Yes. When we got news about what was happening, I traveled hoping to help as many as I could, but there is only so much one man can do. It is tragic but my people believe all things happen for a reason. Like my shaman, some must die so others can be born. One world had to die so that another one can be born."

            "You have to be worried about leaving your people alone. I can bring you back to visit."

            "Thank you, my Queen, but I've said my goodbyes. I have a part in this new world, but my people do not. They are happy with the way things are."

            "I'm sorry to hear that, Jedda."

            He offered her another sad smile. "There are many tribes so cut off from the world that the virus has not even touched them. They would like to remain this way, but you will find many who will join us on our quest."

            "Then we will find them, Jedda."

            As Jedda went for his belongings and the Shaman had gifts prepared for them, Jess ordered Dezrick to have supplies gathered.

            "Water. Medical supplies. Send some toys too, Dez. They have a lot of children. Blankets. Books. No electricity so send nothing that you would have to refrigerate. Weapons, I guess. No guns but knives and stuff. Hell, I don't know, find someone who would."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            When Jedda returned, he was wearing grey pants and a bright green shirt. He had no shoes and only carried a small bag with him.

            "Jedda, would you like to leave a way for them to communicate with you? We have wristbands that would allow you to keep in touch with your family. Dez, introduce yourself to Jedda."

             "Human Jedda, we are pleased to have found you."

            "He's a computer that can see all and hear all, and thinks he knows all. If you leave one of these bands here, then you would always have a way of checking in on them."

            He looked at his father and after a few words she couldn't understand; he looked back at her. "My father says you are my family now."

            Jess looked at all the children who stood nearby. "What about them?

What if they need your healing?

            Jedda spoke to his father again, then smiled at her. "My father says you have a wise, soft heart. He will take your band."

            Wise and soft? That sounded like half a compliment to her. "Dez, send a band."

            "My Queen, my King is bringing the supplies himself so they can arrive quicker."

            "Thank you, Dezrick."

            She braced herself to feel him, then she had to brace herself to see him.

            It was hard to not watch him as he met Jedda and his father. Once he met with the shaman, he was also invited to the meal.

            His eyes touched onto hers before he accepted.

            That moment kind of hurt her feelings. She knew she was trying to stay away from him, but she just realized that he was trying to do the same thing.

            She hid the tears gathering in her eyes, but Damous was watching her and noticed them.

            That was almost as bad as if Kellum would have seen them.

            The meal was a giant boar roasting over a fire. Since it didn't seem ready yet, Jess fetched a ball and played with the kids.

            Not only did she have fun, but they did as well. When she stopped to watch the breathtaking sunset, they gathered around her and watched it with her.

            She's never seen anything as beautiful or been a part of something as beautiful as this moment. Smiling, she turned her face into the wind and spent the rest of her time there, grateful to still be on this planet.