chapter sixteen

unchained

            Julian was so excited that she was rejoining life that he was singing while he dressed.

            She was still lying-in bed, but she had every intention of moving. Right now, it was nice seeing her guy with less to worry about.

            "It was a brilliant plan for you to oversee it. Now we can be sure. This is it, babe. Operation free Jess from her ball and chain."

            "It was his plan."

            He paused. "You haven't said much about him. You were gone for a long time."

            That's because before coming home she had to find a quiet place to cry. "It wasn't easy, but now I can stop running from him. He seems as eager as me to find a way out."

            "Then he's a fool and an enormous gaping A hole."

            She sat up. "I know you're team Jess and I need you to be team Jess. You're the only reason I've survived all this shit, but I don't think he's the enemy, babe. He didn't do any of this to me. Let's save all our hate and Satan rituals for the four dickless. I'm thinking it's a good idea to stay in the good graces of the guy in charge."

            "I'm not worried about him. I'm in tight with the woman in charge."

            Growling, she laid back down. "I like to forget that part. It's like the universe is telling a joke and I'm the joke. Anyway, if it all works out, then I won't be for much longer."

            She bounced when he jumped back into bed.

            "Which is why I'm going to enjoy it for as long as I can. I won't be the guy sleeping with the queen forever."

            She stiffened. "I didn't think of that. Are people being mean to you? Are they___?"

            "Calm down, mama bear. I don't mind the letter A on my forehead. No one has said or done anything, some looks every now and again but____."

            "I won't have it. Do you hear me, Dez?"

            "Babe, what can he do. His little watch can't tell him when people are looking at me strange. Most of the looks are probably because they don't know how else to look at me. Come on, babe. I didn't mean to upset you on your first day back in the land of the living. I'm good. Everything is good. You're mine and I don't care who knows it."

            "I won't have them treating you bad. Do you hear me, Dez? Anyone messes with Julian then they are going to have problems with me."

            "Yes, my Queen. Would you like me to make an announcement?"

            Julian's eyes widen in fear.

            "You don't need to. When I start bashing heads in, they will get the point."

            Smiling, Julian pulled her into his arms. "I love you."

            "I love you too."

            "Now tell me how it really was yesterday. It couldn't have been easy."

            "Easier than I thought it would be. It's like looking at a stranger who sounds and looks like someone I used to know."

            "Yep, it's like his light is on and no one is home. Did you talk about the four ass wipes?"

            "It didn't come up. Frick says that I don't have to worry about them. They are being punished and contained. He says that is one reason Kellum would like to document what happened to me outside the wall. To make sure they get their full punishment."