chapter thirteen

unsupernatural

When she woke up, and Frey was gone, she was worried. Afraid the girl left, she jumped out of bed and rushed downstairs.

The other girl was seated at the bar looking confused and out of her element as Julian passed her a pop tart.

"Oh, good. I thought you left."

Julian's eyes widened. "Mel, do my eyes deceive me or is Jess up before noon?"

"I see it, but I don't believe it." Her sister joked.

With a roll of her eyes, Jess nabbed the pop tart. "My family is funny. Aunt Sarah, I invited Frey to stay here for a while. She slept with me and Julian last night, but today I'll clean the room near the stairs for her."

"Sounds good, honey. She can stay as long as she wants."

Her aunt looked haggard as she juggled Thad, a bottle, and a cup of coffee.

Jess shoved her confiscated pop tart in her mouth long enough to take Thad from her aunt. He'd already been squirming and fixing to start up a storm, but when Jess took him, he instantly started crying.

Giving the child the evil eye, she passed him right along to Frey.

She took him like she'd been offered all the gold in the world. He stopped crying instantly.

"I found that out the other day. The kid likes her. Aunt Sarah, do you think we could go to work with you? I think it will be good for her."

"We can always use the help. How about in the day care? I'm sure the workers would love some help with Thad."

Jess chuckled. "What you're trying to say is that your child is bullying everyone."

Aunt Sarah smiled. "I said no such thing."

Julian was looking at her. She saw his hope there. His relief. She wrapped an arm around his waist. "What's your plans, babe?"

"Some of us have classes. Why don't you think about going back to school? Might be good for you."

She blanched. "You mean choose to go just because I want to? Bite your tongue."

"You've already watched all your favorite shows so you're going to need something to do."

"I saved the best for last. Supernatural. But you're right. I'll give it some thought. For today, I'm going to work with Aunt Sarah. Is that okay with you, babe?"

"It is. Babe." He kissed her forehead. "It's good to see you. How about you pick me up from school around four and we'll start Supernatural together?"

"My four favorite men. Sam, Dean, John Winchester, and you."

"I think this calls for a family dinner. How about Mexican?" Thinking of another time, her aunt lost her smile. "Or___."

"No, Aunt Sarah, Mexican sounds good. I'll be here."