chapter twenty-four

uncertainty

            Adrian requested a lift home the next day. Her excitement wasn't just because he was finally joining them, it was also for the woman who would come with him.

            Her happiness died upon meeting her.

            She was the oldest to sit as a New Ruler at twenty-four and she's had a hard, sad life.

            Her hair was jet black and long. Her dark brown eyes darted around, trying to watch everyone who got too close.

            "What happened to her?" She asked as soon as she had a moment alone with Adrian.

            "Life, my Queen. From what I can gather, she had a very abusive husband. He died a few years ago but something like that is hard to get over. When I found her, she was staying in an abandon warehouse with four kids under the age of four. She was traveling slow and hiding out as much as possible."

            "What's her gift?"

            "Ironically, she can see a person's true face. Her gift only started developing since the virus, so she's still learning how to handle it."

            "Like me. Does your gift bring her any comfort?"

            "It does."

            "Spend as much time with her as you can." She could see how worried he was.

            "Being with the group will help too."

            Jess smiled and took her first look at him. He looked like crap. His face scruffy with a beard that grew in patches. It was clear that he hadn't bathed in a few days.

            His smile was soft.

            "Welcome home, Adrian."

            "Thank you, my Queen."

            "It hasn't felt right with you missing. Why don't you clean up and then I'll make sure you get to spend some time with your rag-tag bunch."

            "We have much work to do, my Queen."

            "We do, but you have time to see your family. I'll give you a few days then we'll have everyone over for dinner."

            "I would like that, my Queen."

            "Dezrick, send Simmin to be Lusiana's new life adviser. Instruct Simmin to handle with care. I also want one of my people found who is equipped to handle someone who's been abused. If anyone scares her or upsets her in any way, then they will deal with me."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            Still smiling softly, Adrian opened his arms to her. "I see you are doing well, Jess."

            She'd stayed out of his arms as long as she could. His strength seeped into her. "Good days and bad. It will be better now that you're here. You and I will find the rest of them and bring them home."

            "We will."

            "I can't wait for you to meet Zon. They released him from quarantine last night. They say it was because he needed to be quarantine until they knew if he had any diseases we could catch, but I think it was more that they feared him. He's a shapeshifter, Adrian. And that's not his gift, his race are actually shapeshifters. There are only three of them left now."

            "I can't wait to meet them."

            "There's thirteen of us now. Only seven of us are missing."

            "I fear the others won't be as easy to find."

            "But we will. We have a hell of a finder."

            Dezrick's voice interrupted them. "My Queen, you wanted me to make sure that you are not tardy for training."

             Smiling, she left his arms. "Rest up. I'll make sure that I'm at the meeting tomorrow. Don't get used to it, but I won't miss your, Jedda, and Zon's inauguration. I'll tell them to wait on Lusiana being initiated till she's feeling more up to it."

            "My Queen, I would like to point out that you have not had your own inauguration."

            "Dez, choke on a bug."

            "My Queen, that is completely impossible. Should I____."

            "Nope."