chapter thirty-five

unassisted                                                                                   

            Before she could talk herself out of it, she was standing in the same room as him.

            He was sweaty and just used a shield to knock an opponent's feet out from under him.

            Feeling her, he looked up.

            Damn, he was hot.

            At the last moment he remembered what he was doing, and as another opponent attacked with his sword, Kellum deflected it with his own.

            "That will be all, Coca. Nairobi."

            His men filed out.

            "I know I should have given you a heads up, but this was a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing."

            He put away his weapons, then reached for a cloth for his face. "How can I assist you, Jessalynn?"

            She had to remind herself she wasn't here to get pissed. That wasn't easy when he looked so damn good, and he said things like how can I assist you. Not her Kellum. She had to remember that.

            "I wanted to invite you to the Stage tonight. Everyone will be there. It seems crazy for you not to be there just because we aren't together anymore. I know your friends are my friends and apparently your family is my family. Anyway, I just thought that needed to be said so that you don't think you have to stay away from family events. Why did you give me the stars the other night?"

            "I have a meeting__."

            "Yeah, I figured. Just know that you don't have to miss stuff like that just on account of me. It's a free world and all that."

            "Thank you for the invitation, Jessalynn."

            He stopped her before she could leave.

            "Thank you for not turning them away."

            "I thought about it, but I like Frey too much to do that. What have you decided to do about Savion?"

            "Nothing yet. I do not know how he came by the mark, but I will not sit with him at my side. Something will have to be figured out."

            "I guess even the universe messes up. I should get going so I can save myself time to go through my ritual of throwing up before going on stage. Be productive at your meeting."