chapter fifty

unafraid

Julian was one step away from making himself sick, and that was pissing her off. By the time the men started training, she wanted nothing better than to beat the shit out of Damous just for breathing.

The only thing that stopped her was that he looked as bad off as Julian did. The poor dude did not know that it was his mate being in despair that was causing him to be in despair.

"Julian, no more stalling. Do it or I will."

"Jess__."

"No, babe." She caught his face in her hands. "I just had the most magical morning of my life and that can be yours, too. All you have to do is be brave enough to take it."

"It's not the same."

"It can be. If you let it. The Julian I know is braver than this."

"What if he laughs___?"

"If he does, I'll kill him." She dragged him the rest of the way. "A Syrian wouldn't do that, anyway. Especially this one. Dra and Herns get lost and take Will with you. Damous, we need to talk."

Julian lowered his voice and moved closer to her. "There's no way it's him. No way. You have to trust me on this."

"You have to trust me. Just like you always have."

He took several deep breaths then moved closer to her so that he could get farther away from Damous, who'd just planted his feet in front of them.

He was paler than usual, cheekbones more pronounced. If he wasn't so intimidating, he'd be almost beautiful. In a uniquely weird way.

"My Queen, have I displeased you? I feel your unease."

"It's not my unease, Damous. Before your mark burned, did you have any matches that you favored?"

It was clear that he didn't understand the question.

"Anyone you liked more than the others?"

"No, my Queen. I spent time with each of them and waited for the mark."

"I know you..."

He must be closer to Julian than he normally was allowed, because he kept looking at him, and the more he did, the more he frowned.

"I know you have been worried about your mate. Wouldn't it relieve you to find your mate and know they are safe?"

"Yes, my Queen. It is a great worry for me. We were never told that we might get our mark before we could find our mate. I am unprepared for these circumstances. Do you feel my performance is lacking because of my___?"

"Of course not. You do an excellent job. I know up till now you have been seeing to my training but from now on I would like you to train Julian as well. He needs to learn from the best and I know Kellum wouldn't have put me under your care unless he considered you the best."

Julian's eyes widen as he shook his head at her.

"You honor me, my Queen."

"I feel the same way about you, Damous."

"Should we get started now, my Queen?"

She knew Julian better than she knew herself, and she'd never seen him looking so concerned. So scared and lost. At that moment, she knew the mark wasn't wrong. He wouldn't be so scared if this wasn't so important.