chapter forty-five

unbound

Hayden made it too easy on her.

Glad to have that over with, she explained things the best she could to Mel and Aunt Sarah, then she waited for Kell to fall asleep.

It was nearly four in the morning when she sneaked into his room and slipped into his bed. It seemed only fitting that all this started with her sneaking out of it one morning, and now it could begin with her sneaking into it.

She'd only just fallen asleep when he jerked his arm away and jumped out of bed.

Frowning, she squinted up at him. "Babe, come back to bed."

His look was priceless enough to get a smile out of her. Rolling over, she propped herself up on her elbow. "My first order of business is that thing you're wearing. It's got to go, babe. Bottoms I can live with, but I'll be damn if all the hard work you put into that body goes to waste, and since I'm the only one who gets to enjoy it, I damn sure plan to enjoy it."

He only gawked at her, which was a nice change from all the bored expressions she usually received from him.

"Come back to bed, Kellum. We were finally sleeping good."

"You cannot be here."

"I can, and you might as well get used to it. Sometimes around midnight I decided it was stupid to want to be with you and not be. Being mated is the same as being married, right?"

He didn't seem to have an answer for that.

"We're both over eighteen, so I have every right to be here. Let's show our people the correct way to do this mating business." She motioned him with her finger to come to her. "I believe it's time for a proper good morning."

When he didn't come to her, she climbed to her knees and made her way towards him.

"Jessalynn__." His eyes went to her bare legs.

"You'll have to get used to them. This is how I sleep."

"It is improper."

"It's improper to make your mate chase you."

"Jessalynn, I require more time." He went on in a rush. "You are moving too fast."

"You'll have to get used to that, too. I'm your mate. The only one in the entire universe made just for you, which means I'm just right for you." Standing on the bed put her taller than him. "My proper good morning, Kellum."

She grinned when he gave her forehead a quick peck. Dude had a lot to learn.

Touching his hand found them both back in the middle of his bed. Her over him and his hands held over his head. "Good morning, my mate." She kissed his lips softly.

"Jessalynn."

"Yes, my mate?" She kissed his chin, then his lips again. How long has it been since she's been as close to him as she longed to be?

His lips were meant for hers. His hands made for hers.

Lacing their fingers together, she kissed him slowly, but before she could lose herself in his kiss, he was gone.

"You really have to stop doing that." She turned on to her back and took a deep breath before she searched the room for him. "I just found out yesterday that I'm the one who's been punishing myself for touching anyone else. Even when I was pushing you away, I was holding onto you, so I know how hard it is for you to pull away. You don't have to do that to yourself, Kellum."