chapter sixty

unforged

The arms that went around her were smaller and her heart didn't know whether to be glad or disappointed.

It was good that he was managing to stay away longer this time. That is what she'd wanted when she sent him away.

Sometimes it sucked to get what you wanted.

She settled into Julian's arms, hoping to find enough strength so that she wasn't the weak one and gave in first.

"I hate not knowing where he is." Hate was a mild word for it.

"You know where he is."

It wasn't the same.

"You didn't want to go with him?"

No, she wanted to stand here and stare out the window until he returned to her. Sighing, she hugged Julian's arms to her. "I wanted to, but this is a bad habit we are creating. Never leaving and hiding in this house. Somewhere in the handbook it has to say that the King and Queen can't be weak, pathetic, chicken shits."

"You could just pretend you're doing your job. I'm pretty sure the Queen should be there when a New Ruler is sworn in."

"Why? I wasn't at the other ones. Anyway, who knows when's the next time I'll have an opportunity to kick him out the door with a good reason. You know things are bad when my guy doesn't attend his meetings."

"Why have you two been staying here? You can't be getting much rest with the way demon baby has been the last few nights."

"I don't know. He brought us here, and we stayed. I guess he figured being around the family would help."

"He needs to know that you are safe."

"I know the feeling. Which is why I'm pissed and sulking."

He nodded against the top of her head. "I figured that."

The few times Kellum has left her, he has always sent someone to sit with her and he always returned to check on her often. "I can't tell whether he checks on me for himself or for me."

"You are both equally pathetic."

After elbowing him, she turned so he could see her frown. "You're supposed to be sympathetic."

"I tried that approach yesterday. It didn't work." He dragged her back into his arms. "Look babe, I get it. Maybe before I wouldn't have, but now..."

His eyes spoke volumes, but he still wasn't ready to say it out loud yet. He looked at his own mark.

"At least you don't cover it up anymore. Appreciate it, Julian. You won't realize how precious it is until it's gone."

"I know." He admitted softly. "He... he's patient with me."

"Syrians are very good at that. Me not so much. You ready to hear what I would do?"

He smiled, and his brown eyes sparkled. "I know what you would do."

Her tears didn't surprise either of them. She never went long without them these days. "I'm glad for you, Julian."

He checked to see how much her mark burned.

It was a bad day. Her mark has been aflame since she woke up this morning. "It's not as bad as it was out there."