chapter twenty-one

unbreakable

Her studies were coming along as well as can be expected. After spending days talking to Dezrick and going through all the staff members, she finally came up with two names.

Cancor, and Iffren.

Cancor looked down his nose at her, but he was the exact kind of person she needed for the job. He was curious about any and everything, and now that she had put her little plan into his head, she could see his need to find out if it was possible. He like the challenge of breaking something he saw as unbreakable.

He was tall, thin, and reminded her of Lurch from the Addams family. By day two, she was calling him Lurch. As smart as he was, nicknames confused the man.

Iffren was younger than her and a genius of the bipolar kind. Talking to him was like talking to someone with a blender in his head. Turn it on and see what comes out. It was irritating as hell, but he was one of the best minds, so she put up with him.

Today she was sitting in a classroom all by herself, waiting for Simmin. Her handpicked new life advisor.

Jess was way early and that should let you know how nervous she was.

Not about Simmin, but about the subject they were supposed to talk about today.

Today she was going on record about her time as a captive and her time outside the wall.

The only reason she even agreed to any of this is because it might help with her study to put an end to mates.

Swallowing nails straight from a fire pit would be more fun.

Simmin came in and bowed her head.

Jess had half a mind to let her stand there like that all day, but she wanted this shit over with and never mentioned again. "At ease. Let's start with my imprisonment."

She slouched in her desk and stretch her legs out in an attempt to not look as upset as she was.

"You may start, my Queen. I am here more as a support system for you. They feel it will help you have a face to talk to rather than having you talk directly to Dezrick. I would like to thank you for choosing me as your new life advisor. It is an honor, my Queen."

"I see you've been working on your smile."

"For days, my Queen. I did not wish to upset you. If it pleases you, you can begin at any time."

"No one is listening, right? Except for Dez? They can listen later, but I don't want anyone listening right now."

"We understand your request, my Queen. Your terms have been accepted and put into action. Frey is close by in case you need her to assist you with her gifts, but the choice to do so remains yours."

"There's not that much to tell. Beatings. Daily. I don't even know how long that lasted. Eventually they tired of it. They aren't all that smart, but they are creative."

"Their intellect is higher than a human's, but they are indeed a primitive group. They have the intellect but lack the motivation to do much with it."

Simmin remained silent, but Dez was never good at that unless he was ordered to be silent. She was thankful for his voice. She'd never thought about it before, but he sounded like Tom Hanks, if Tom Hanks lacked emotion.