chapter fifty-six

unsurprised

            Nothing made sense. Nothing added up.

            Anytime they figured out someone with the power to use against them, they were all accounted for.

            Dezrick ran every test he could, and they came back good. Right now, her men were trying to figure out the best way to run test on Kellum without setting him free, while she and the new Rulers tried to figure out what was done to him.

            She was starting to believe mind control except for all those aliens were accounted for, and , they could only control a mind in close vicinity to them. And since no one could get to Kellum right now, that meant when he woke up, he should be himself.

            Him waking up was also something she was getting worried about. Frick got more than one pissed off look as she waited for word that Kellum was awake. Finally, she couldn't wait any longer and brought the meeting to his room so she could watch over him herself.

            She wanted him to take a small nap, not be in a coma. She wished she'd thought to cover him up before she locked him away from everyone.

            If she had time, she'd be completely pissed that Hayden had gotten to see all that.

            Even out of it, he was so drool worthy she wouldn't be  if the little hussy would dream about___.

            She ran a hand over her tired eyes and forced herself to look away from him.

            "Ritz, has Annie found anything yet."

            "No. My Queen."

            There were more ghosts around than a person thought there was. Annie had been at it all day, but the ghosts were as clueless as the living. No one saw anything. "Are the glow trio still on the prowl?"

            "Your repeated questions are getting on my nerves. My Queen. As soon as there is something to report, then I will report it."

            "Don't mess with me, Ritz."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            "Are you and Jaymes on your way?"

            "Yes." If the girl could think a growl, she just did it. "My Queen."

            They were the next two New Rulers to come spend time with Kellum. Sean and Lusiana would be last. Not that any of them have been any help. If he received comfort, she couldn't tell it. Pureell could only say that he was close. Pensley saw an empty bed, which was scary. Frey felt nothing, which terrified her, because she still couldn't feel anything either. Except for a pressure on her chest and the inability to breathe easy.

            "They are invisible. Maybe one got past Dez and was never even put on record. Then he'd be unaccountable. He could be in there with him right now."

            Frick's comment had her slowly looking over the room.

            "What would be the point?" Godrick asked.

            "Kidnapping? Ransom? If it was to kill him, they would have already done it. It would have been easier to just kidnap Jez. There is nothing Kellum would not have given up for her release."

            Damous frowned at Frick.

            Godrick frowned at him too. "You watch too many human tv shows."