chapter fifty-seven

unpreoccupied

            She was afraid to take her eyes off her mate. Afraid that if she did, she'd lose her last piece of Kellum.

            That wasn't him, but he was the only person who knew where her Kellum was, and he still hadn't moved an inch.

            Jai wasn't a bad person. He'd give Kell back to her. He had to.

            She wouldn't think about what would have happened if she hadn't known something was different. Would he had taken over another man's life?

            She didn't know whether to be pissed or scared to death.

            Scared. Scared won, hands down.

            Julian made a noise in his sleep, so she looked down at him and ran her fingers through his hair. Sometime around three, he kicked Frick off Kell's new couch and now he dozed off and on.

            Looking up, she caught Damous' gentle look as he watched his mate sleep. She ran her fingers through Julian's hair. "I swear, no matter what, his hair always looks great. You should think about growing yours out. He's all about the hair. Once I cut mine, sixth grade. Cute little bob. Julian nearly had a heart attack. Never let me cut it again. We have a deal. I don't cut my hair and he doesn't wear skinny jeans."

            She motioned for him to come to her. "He only makes sounds when he's not sleeping good. If you play with his hair, it helps. He likes it."

            Hesitantly, Dame mimicked what she was doing.

            Julian made an intimate sound in his sleep.

            Jess looked up at Damous with a sad smile. "He's never done that before." With another sad smile, she moved away so Damous could have this alone time with his mate.

            Her eyes found their way back to the man who was trying to steal her life away from her.

            Frick came to stand next to her.

            "I'm having a hard time breathing. There's a weight on my chest. What if it's Kellum feeling all that?"

            "We will find him."

            "If he was at the bottom of the sea, I'd still feel him. Why can't I feel him?"

            "We will find him." He promised.

            "Damous, Julian, Adrian, even Will are all better at helping me feel better. You suck."

            "They are all sleeping or  so you're stuck with me." He nudged her with his hip. "We will find him. We have to."

            They had to.

            And if she didn't, she better damn sure leave this earth with him, or she was going to be so pissed.

            And completely obliterated.

            One minute the Kellum look alike was laying unmoving on the bed, then he raised as if on a string. Looking at her, he tried to speak, and when he couldn't, his hands went around his neck.

            "Everyone get up. He's awake." Awake and they did not know what in the hell he was going to do.

            He tilted his head to the side, then he was Jai. The Jai she'd met on the Ratkilgon ship. Before she could feel relief at seeing him, the boy she considered a friend, he changed again. Now he was younger. No more than one or two.