chapter twenty

unhitched

If anything, the news calmed him down. He laughed and said that it showed just how screwed up their tests and numbers were.

He was right. No one knew Julian like she did.

He had a very specific type. Flirty, bouncy, golden girls who were fresh faced and smart. Strong, but not afraid to let Julian fight some of their battles for them. Girls who knew how to play the damsel in distress.

Girls who twirled their hair and wore bubble gum lip gloss. Good girls who didn't put out until they've been dating for at least six months.

The opposite of her.

She wasn't lying when she said most of his past girlfriends were cheerleaders. All of them except one. A dancer.

Most of them blond with blue eyes.

Jess frowned. Which she supposed Damous had covered. Except he was too tall, too muscular, and too dead on the inside.

The next two days she wasn't able to think about anything else but Julian and his newfound problem of the badass kind.

His dude was hot. In the I can kill someone with one look or with my bare hands kind of way.

During training, she did more watching him than she did training. Dude was seriously good. Maybe even better than Kellum. His moves were quicker, and when he attacked someone, you weren't left with any doubt that he could kill that person if he wanted to. He would kill that person if he needed to.

No matter how well trained Kell was, he wasn't a killer.

Julian was so wrapped up in his own training, he hardly ever noticed Damous unless she brought him up. Which she did all the time. "He's cute."

Her best friend rolled his eyes. "Sure. If you like the look of hard-core killers." Chuckling, he looked over to where Will was lifting weights. "If I was going to be into anyone, it would be him."

Sure, Will was in good shape, but more than anything he was adorable. He was always looking her way and flexing. Every time he caught her eyes on him, he'd get in a pose and show off his body.

He never wore a shirt if he could help it.

That boy shouldn't be allowed to wear a shirt. Will wasn't as big as her bodyguards, and definitely not as big as Kell, but he wasn't squirmy. What he lacked in muscle, he made up for in pure sweetness.

Julian was right, Will would be more his type.

She could see anyone wanting to spend the night with him, and they would come away with a smile.

When his eyes started glowing from across the gym, she knew he knew she was thinking about him and his power tool.

"When you break the curse, you have my permission to spend a night with him. Just once. I would love to know if all that extra is just for show."

"Yea? I guess if you begged me, I could endure the chore." She was thinking that would definitely not be a chore, so it took her a minute to catch on to what he said.

Jess punched him in the arm as hard as she could. "First off, I don't need your permission and second, you're sharing me now?"

Laughing, he held her arms down so she couldn't hit him anymore. "I love you too much to deny you. Anyway, look who's talking. You're trying to sell me on someone else."

She grunted. "I was just seeing if I could picture it, and I can't."

"Exactly."

"You'd let me? When you least expect it, I'm getting you back for that."

"You can try."

She was gone from his arms before he could realize it. Now behind him, she kicked the back of his right knee, then before he could catch himself, she was back in front of him, and she kicked his left leg out from under him.

Pride was all over his face as he looked up at her.

"Damous taught me that."

Will was cheering for her.

Maybe she didn't have as much of an ass as she used to have, but she was shaking what she had as she walked away from him.