chapter twenty-five

unaccustomed

            She had no intentions of training, but she knew how much this time meant to Julian and since they couldn't allow him around Damous without some backup, she made sure to always be there.

            Damous spent his time watching the other three spar and watching her.

            Since she wasn't doing anything but sitting here wishing she was somewhere else, she motioned him to her.

            "Yes, my Queen?"

            His voice was naturally husky and deep. Warm, which was in contrast with the rest of his features and the look in his eyes.

            "Sit with me. We might as well get to know each other."

            "Sit, my Queen?"

            You would think no one had ever asked him to sit before. She might as well had asked him to fly to the moon. Jess patted the floor next to her.

            It wasn't easy to keep from laughing at him. He eyed the floor, then stiffly turned his back to the wall and slid down it until he was seated to the left of her. "Are there any royals who can fly? That would be neat."

            This time she couldn't help but laugh at his unease.

            "Dez, is there?"

            "No, my Queen. I have watched many of your movie pictures so I now understand why you would ask."

            "Tell me, Dame, I'm going to call you that, your gift is strength, right? Can you crush a building?"

            "I've been asked that twice since coming to your planet, my Queen. Is this something humans can do?"

            "Nope. Can you?"

            "I have never needed to try, my Queen. What is the scenario where I would need to?"

            "Then how strong are you? Can you pick up a building?"

            "My Queen, what is the scenario where I would need to?"

            Jess sighed. "I can see you're no fun. How do you even know you are strong?"

            "I can out lift all others and I am told that getting hit by me is unpleasant. As a child I learned to never hit someone using more than a touch of my strength."

            "Okay, then show me how hard you can hit."

            She laughed at his look. "Not me. Hit the wall."

            "Why, my Queen?"

            "Because I told you to."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            He stood and eyed the wall behind her, then he looked at her again. "Should I hurt it, my Queen?"

            "Yep. Kill it. Dez, have Jedda ready if we need him."

            "Yes, my Queen."

            Still frowning at her, and hardly trying, he put a good size hole in the wall.

            "Not bad. Try again but this time mean it."

            He got into a stance and after two practice hits, he sent his full force into the next punch.