chapter nine

unacquainted

"Vampires? I saw one only days ago, and it did not look like that. They are called luh'ogs. I could see where they would need a slayer to keep them in line. We have deemed them a danger to us. Kellum plans on sending them back to their own planet post haste. I could do that." Frick said, after he crammed some popcorn in his mouth. "I have never tried it, but I bet I could do it."

He was talking about the way Buffy just did a flip and staked the vamp from behind.

"Right now, he does not wish to use up any of our workforce on smaller worries when we know our enemy could be among us. Dezrick has been doing a grid search, looking for any detection of hums or friction in our frequencies. He says there is very little chance of detection, so our engineers are at work overlooking their spaceship we have commandeered. We plan to use it against them in our aid in finding them. I could do that too."

"I met one. I wasn't too impressed. She didn't have the whole ugly face thing going on, but she was pale and did resembled a dead person. Though she did have a collar on, so I suppose she'd be more dangerous with it off."

"Indeed. One of those things bit Insoda. You will be happy to know that they are not contagious, but Insoda lost a good bit of blood in the time it took us to pull the bloodsucker off him."

"I wonder if the only way to kill them is to stake them?" She asked in curiosity.

"Dezrick?" Frick asked, then cram more popcorn in his mouth.

"Not at all. We have barely begun our testing on them, and it is already clear that they are a very fragile species. There is not much that will not kill them. Water, sunlight, heat, cold, food, drink..."

"That's enough, Dez. I swear I'm going to teach you how to filter."

"Yes, my Queen."

"I could do that without even trying. Why is it that these fighters, except for the slayer, are so weak and puny? You humans do not have better fighters?"

"They aren't real fighters, they are actors. What do you think of Annie?"

"If she is the redhead, then I do not think too much of her. She will not last long."

"I have you know... wait a minute. You don't know who Annie is? Dez, I thought you said the ones that came back with us the other day was processed yesterday?"

"They were, my Queen. They were assigned to the same quarters as the rest of the New Rulers, but like you, the human Grammy refused to live aboard the ship. As of eight in the a.m. this morning, they have become your new neighbors."

She rolled over and allowed a few seconds for the blood to rush back to her head, then she sat up. "Dez, are you telling me you don't know who Annie is either?"

"I know who everyone is, my Queen. There are exactly nine humans with the name Annie who have been tested and process. Two who were immune. One located in the city of Chicago and one stationed here. There are also two more who are stationed in the city of St. Louis who were not immune. One was process with the group you brought back with you during your escape from the boundaries. Frick has met none of these humans."

"The Annie that came back with me, hasn't she been tested?"

"She has, my Queen. Immune. A New Ruler. Both parents are no longer living, so she has been given to the care of the human Grammy. Whose proper name is Jean, but she refuses to be called that."