chapter twenty-nine

uncoil

He was a King in hiding. Taking a page from his Queen, he silenced Dezrick, and he found a place far away from everyone. From everything.

Pensley was a wake. He was weak of body after weeks of bed rest, but his mind seemed to be well rested.

He had none of the side effects that Kellum was experiencing.

As soon as Frey showed up, they had taken each other into their arms. They did not even need to speak. Feeling like an intruder, he left them.

He envied them their peace with each other. Their quietness together. He and his mate would never have that.

He rubbed his forehead at his unloyal thoughts. There was no peace to be found with his mate, but her leadership skills surpass his own nearly every day.

Today she had no qualms about throwing herself into harm's way for one of her people.

She always jumped before she questioned. Before she found out the consequences or planned a course.

He was learning that made for a good queen, but he was not so sure that made her a good mate.

With a deep breath, he tried to banish his ill thoughts. It was wrong for him to have these thoughts.

Not only was it not loyal, but it was uncalled for.

She brought Pensley back to them. She banished New Ruler Lusiana's demon.

He panicked. He could feel her, but she had been weak. Far away and dim. That had been more than he could handle. His hands had wanted to force New Ruler Jedda to bring her back, and it had taken everything in him not to hurt the other man.

The only thing that stopped him was Hayden. Her peace flowed over him, then through him. When he would have cast her out because of the amount of guilt he felt to have her near, New Ruler Adrian and New Ruler Sean were there lending him their strength.

With their help, he found his mate again, and he could let her finish her quest. Then, like the weak King he was, he left before he had to face her.

"I hope you're not thinking about jumping."

He closed his eyes. She could always catch him unaware. When he went to her, she always knew he was coming before he was even there.

When he opened his eyes, she was seated next to him, but closer to the edge. Her feet hung over, and he had to look away.

Why must she always live like that? On the edge?

"Dez, is worried about you."

Kellum raised an eyebrow. "He contacted you after I banned him from addressing anyone about me leaving the cities?"

She snorted. "Yeah, right. He didn't have to. Wherever he is, he's worried."

"He does not worry."

She looked out over the giant canyon below them. "Sometimes I wonder if I should envy him that."

He watched a bird in flight, and he wondered if he should envy the bird. He had a freedom that Kellum has never known, will ever know.

"You're in a dangerous mood tonight. I guess even stick in the muds need a moment from time to time."

"I would never jump. Only a human would think about such a thing. You may go without worry."