chapter thirty-three

unchanging

Frey was an eager pupil. Jess forgot about everything for the next few days in her quest to get Frey laid. Or whatever it was that the girl thought they were aiming for.

Jess figured if she could get that to happen, the rest would fall into place.

She knew her mouth was gaped opened in shock, so she looked to see if Hayley was having the same dilemma.

Yep.

"How often did you say?"

"My Queen, I am only fertile three days every three months so___."

"So, you average about once a month getting lucky?"

The girl didn't know enough to be embarrassed or feel dismayed. "Yes, my Queen."

"Have you ever enjoyed it?"

The other girl had to think about it for a long time.

She and Hayley looked at each other because that was answer enough.

"It is not entirely unpleasant, my Queen. I would love for the copulation to be successful. Sometimes it is a bit uncomfortable, but I try to think about taking a seed into my body and helping it nourish."

"Is that a part of your studies?"

"Yes, my Queen. It is hoped that it is beneficial, but it is an unproven theory. We have tried many techniques over the years."

Hayley grinned. "I need to hear about these techniques."

She wouldn't mind either, but she didn't have much longer before training started. "Let's finish this."

Jess went clothes shopping in all the warehouses all day and now Hayley was doing Frey's hair.

The other girl hadn't cried one tear as most of her locks were chopped off, and Hayley unquestionably knew what she was doing.

Frey's white, blond hair fell to just pass her shoulders and laid in soft flattering waves. Her makeup was perfection. She was breathtaking. Fun fact, Syrian's didn't shave. Anywhere. As scary as that sounded, the girl hadn't had ape man legs, but now they were smooth.

The dress she wore went past her knees and her bubblegum pink toes were clad in a pair of white sandals.

"Now remember. Tonight, you stay in for dinner."

"Yes, my Queen."

"Get him to stay over, too. For the night. I know you're not ready for the next part but___." Seeing Frey's look, her words trailed off. "Are we moving too fast for you?"

"No, my Queen. It is just that... he is going to think it odd if I want him to stay the night. He will already think it odd that I want to have the meal here."

Jess looked around at the candles and flowers. Most men would know the signs, but not a Syrian.

"Okay, let me think."

"She's looking hot, maybe ole Pensley will get the hint."

Jess wouldn't hold her breath. "She's not ready for that, anyway. I'll bring Will over tomorrow to give her some pointers. I'm seriously thinking about making him a sex coach for these Syrians. Who would be better for the job?"

Hayley's grin was too revealing. "I'll second that. Dude should have a national Monument named after him."

"Please, spare me."

"You're only jealous because you can't touch."

"Hell, yes." Her face scrunched in thought as she watched Hayley put on the finishing touches to Frey's look.

"Dez, get a notepad. I'm making some rules today."

"It is impossible and unneeded___."

"First off, starting today, all mates must share a dinner together, just the two of them, at least two nights a week. More if they care to."

His reply was longer in coming than was customary. "My King would like to point out that this would have to apply to all mates."

"Couldn't a... let's say a Queen, get out of it if she wanted to?"

"It would be unwise to make rules that a Queen is unwilling to follow, my Queen, but the answer to your question is yes."

"Good, then. I want to make it a rule. I think it is beneficial to our people."

"Yes, my Queen. An announcement will be made."

"I also want to make a rule that all mates over the age of eighteen start residing together. If not sharing the same room, then they must at least be next door with the entry way open, and they must share a bed. Unless there is some health reason that prohibits it or unless they are above the age... sixty and choose not to."

His reply was definitely longer in coming this time. "He feels uncomfortable forcing this rule without addressing it with the committee and the New Rulers first. He believes the people should be able to make this choice for themselves."

She smiled to herself. Not bad, Kellum. "I agree with that. Can we amend making it a rule to us announcing that we encourage mates to co-inhabit?"

"If it pleases you, my Queen. My King will also arrange for mates to be moved closer together in hopes of nurturing the possibility for this law in the future."