chapter twenty-seven

unprotected

It was with mixed feelings that Jess took her place on the throne. It wasn't that she didn't feel like she belonged here, it was how right it felt to be here. She hated that since she was seated at Kellum's side.

He wore a new candora that looked a lot like his ceremony robes. He sat up straight, both hands on the arms of his throne and his eyes ahead.

Kellum looked every inch the king.

She was in her jeans and t-shirt. She didn't even feel bad about it.

Everyone was too excited to see her. They were excited to have so many in their destined spots. As happy as the occasion was, Jess couldn't help but eye the empty chairs. Someone would fill the chair next to Jetidi soon. Somehow, she could feel it.

Adrian was to her left. Then Zonsonee and Sean. There were two empty seats, then Jaymes. One empty seat between him and Lusiana, who was here even though she was told she didn't have to be, then Annie and Jetidi. On Kellum's side there was Hayden to his right, Ritz, and then an empty seat, then Jedda, and Pureell. After her, there were three empty seats before you got back to Jetidi.

After the newest members were sworn in, she looked up to see Pureell looking at her.

"Would you like to ask your question now, my Queen?"

Many came to mind, but she knew the girl wasn't referring to any of them. There was only one question she really wanted to be answered.

"No, Pureell. You're better off asking another."

"Only your question calls to me, my Queen."

Instead of answering again, Jess's attention went to Annie. The girl was being unusually quiet, and she kept her eyes downcast. When she did take a quick look, it was always at Lusiana.

"Is everyone adjusting well to their living quarters?" Kellum glanced at Adrian and Zon, then at Lusiana. "We understand your request and if you would feel safer in different accommodations that can be seen to. Tell us what you would prefer, and we will make sure you receive it."

Annie bit down on her lip and nodded at some unheard question before she sneaked another look at Lusiana.

"Annie, is there something bothering you? You seem upset."

At Jess's question, every New Ruler glanced in Annie's direction.

Jetidi spoke first. "You are right, my Queen. She is very troubled. Something in the room frightens her."

"Evil." Zon said.

His voice was in their heads, and she knew it was thanks to Ritz because he could not speak.

"Some are too evil to die." Jedda tapped his forehead twice with his thumb, then he made a circle over his head.

Kellum's voice softened. "New Ruler Annie, can you tell us what you see?"

"A man. He stays close to Lusiana. He says that she is never free of him. I know he is human, but he doesn't look human."

Lusiana paled. "She is seeing him the way I saw him right before he died. His true face. I'm sorry, Annie, that you must see him and that he speaks to you. He is gone from this world and has no place here any longer."

"He says his place is always at your side."

Lusiana faced Jess and Kellum.

"I'm sorry he frightens the child. The first night I saw his true face was on his deathbed. I felt he was still here, but I couldn't be for sure."

"New Ruler Annie, could you ignore___?"

"He feeds off her. Every time she fights, and she gets stronger, he is there to feed off her strength. We must send him away or she will never be free."

"Do you know how to do that?" Jess asked her.

The girl winced and covered her ears.

"New Ruler Jetidi, do you know what we need to do to fix this problem?" Kellum questioned her sister's mate, and the boy shook his head.

Jess looked at Jedda and knew the answer laid with him. She didn't even have to ask him, and he nodded.

"On a dream walk evil can be vanquished but you can't just be strong, you must be worthy."

"Can you do it?" Jess asked the medicine man.

"I'm not strong enough. Not alone."

"Can we all do it together?"

"No. We need tethers to this world. People to call us back." He looked around the room. His eyes pausing on Zonsonee then her. "The three of us have the best chance for success."

"Choose another." Kellum ordered softly.

Jedda looked at him. "My King, there is no other. The rest are not strong enough yet or they have no tether."

"I'll go in her place."

It was clear in Jedda's face that wasn't an option that would succeed.

Jess shrugged. "I'll do it."

Adrian placed a hand on her shoulder as she volunteered, and she felt his support.

Lusiana disagreed this time before Kellum could. "My Queen, I won't allow it. I've lived with him feeding off me most of my life, I'll be fine."

Annie shook her head.

"You won't allow it? I don't remember asking for your permission, Lusiana. What kind of Queen do you think of me?"

The other girl bowed her head quickly. "I'm sorry, my Queen. I meant, I would feel better if you didn't endanger yourself on my behalf, my Queen."

"Duly noted." Jess looked at Kellum. "I'm going."

After a long moment, Kellum finally nodded.

Jedda slowly waved his hands in the air and spoke in a language she'd never heard before. He pointed to Zon. "He'll have to be in his strongest form."

With a roar, Zon was a white tiger at her side.

Wow. That almost made up for the fact that she was shaking in her boots. Well, her purple Converse, but you get the point. His fur was soft, and the animal had Zon's eyes.

Annie smiled sadly. "My Queen, your own ghosts will be waiting for you. Don't let them weaken you or distract you."

Her own what?

Her fear grew. That wasn't what she agreed to.

And why in the hell did everyone think she was strong?