chapter seven

unslipping

As soon as they left Haylie and appeared in her room, Julian did a nosedive in her bed. "I won't lie, I could use a nap." He opened his arms to her, and she crawled into them greedily.

"I don't like the person I am anymore. I wish I could kick my own ass."

He squeezed her tight. "That's a start, baby. I know you; you'll find your way out."

"Hayley said the same thing. What do we do now?"

He kissed her forehead. "Think back to how our relationship works, babe. You tell me, and I'm your super adorable, ever loving, faithful puppy dog who does whatever you want to do."

"You're more than that, Julian."

He kissed her forehead. "You're getting there, baby. Our plan hasn't changed. You and me. Mel. Aunt Sarah and the demon child. A family. A future."

Jess turned over so that she could see his eyes.

"You're my girl, Jess. You always have been. I don't know why I ever tried to find anyone else. No girl could ever measure up to you."

"You can't even touch me like that."

"Small hiccup. We'll find a way to fix that."

"I have his stupid mate mark." She fought tears.

"Small hiccup."

"Okay."

His arms squeezed her close. "We'll be okay. I'll keep telling you until you believe me."

"I believe you; believe in you. I just don't believe in myself anymore. It's just that I wish_____."

He caught her chin. "What, Jess?"

"I need to know that something is still real. That someone won't forget me."

"That could never happen. Dez, I want the machine the advisors used to take Jess away from everyone's memories destroyed."

"I am unable to__." Began the robotic voice.

"Jess, you're Queen. Order it to be destroyed."

Dez went on. "It is a process that requires several mapping sessions and an intense psychological assessment. There is a drug regiment and a series of____."

"Shut up, Dez." Julian ordered, as he took her face into his hands. "Order it to be destroyed."

"I thought we weren't buying into all the Queen bull shit. If I'm Queen, then I'm admitting to being his. If I'm his, then I can't be yours."

"Okay, first of all, you're always mine. Even when the drummer was slipping it to you, you were mine. I was just letting you get some practice under your belt. Second of all, we are going to fix the whole queen thing, but until then why not use it to our advantage? I've told you this once and I'll tell you again. You would make an excellent queen."

Jess smirked. "I've been ruling over you since you were seven. I remember."

"Then you remember what else I said. You have a chance to make a difference. You have a chance to make sure they don't screw up this world."

She shook her head. "Do you not see what I've done to my own life?"

"Only because the control was left in the hands of dumbasses."