Chapter 47| No Fight Left

A A R O N' S P.O.V

I glanced up at the clock. It was nearing nine o'clock. I had overworked, again.

Fuck, Caitlin was going to be so mad again. I promised her we could watch the newest instalment in the To All The Boys I've Loved Before series. She was obsessed with Peter for some reason.

Rosa has probably put her to bed by now though and it would take me a good half an hour to get home. I might as well just stick it out and finish all these shipment slips before I leave.

It was just me and my secretary still here but she was Rahul's, 60 year old neighbour, and working for me was practically her life.  She wouldn't mind.

I have to remember to give her a raise.

Working this late was bad but it was the only thing that helped get her off my mind. I refrained from saying her name, knowing how much pain the word triggers for me.

It's like my life has this huge void that only she could fill. Now, I guess it would always be empty.

I fucked up, so bad. I promised myself and Caitlin that I would try and win her back but...I couldn't face my mistakes. I'm a coward. It's as plain and simple as that.

Of course, I had a man tailing her though.

I wasn't an idiot about to let my Princess out into the cruel world without any protection. After everything that happened with Kane, she needed it too.

Sighing, I picked up the new photo frame I had placed on my desk. It was a photo of her. I took it that day at the gallery, and smile thinking back to our Paris trip.

God, everything was so perfect then. And like the dickhead you are, you had to sabotage your own happiness.

I heard a loud commotion coming from outside my office soo and immediately set down the picture. My secretary, Helen, was shouting at someone, warning them not to go any further.

My hand slipped under my desk and I pulled out my gun. It was fully loaded and I raised it high so I could shoot whichever sorry son of a bitch thought it would be a good idea to disturb my peace.

Staring at her picture, reminiscing the good times, makes me feel like a better man. The man she tried to turn me into.

The door was kicked open and I cocked the gun about to shoot, when I saw a mess of brown hair and piercing green eyes filled with an undeniable hatred for me.

Tristan.

I let out in audible sigh of relief, lowering the gun. Even though he was the person who probably wanted to kill me the most in the world, I felt at ease with him. Safe even.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I seethed, motioning Helen that she could go home. She gave me a tight lipped smile and then flared sharply at the back of Tristan's head. I swear, that woman could scare me.

"Where is she?" He growled, fists bawled up at his sides. I didn't even need to ask to find out who 'she' was, yet I still did.

"Who?" His anger intensified and he took a dangerous step closer, causing me to clutch the gun a little tighter.

I would fire if necessary. Ex-friend or not, I was a selfish bastard that looked out for myself first.