Chapter 3 Everything Went Dark (rewritten)

She has been through hell.
So believe me when I say,
fear her when she looks into a fire and smiles.
_________________________________________________________________________
Olivia Brown

While Alex was driving us home, he refused to answer my questions. The only thing he said was, "You will see." What was I supposed to see? 

What is he talking about?

After that, there was an uncomfortable tension in the vehicle, neither of us talked more. 

When we arrived at the house, Alex didn't wait for me, he walked quickly inside. He disappeared in Mateo's office while I made my way to my room. 

Okay, maybe it wasn't something bad, I had to have misunderstood him. What could have possibly happened? I had to calm myself down. It was certainly nothing.

And with that calming thought, I went to my bathroom to shower.

I always showered after my missions since I wanted to scrub all the places on my body where the pervs had touched me. I just felt disgusted, I wanted to be clean.

Every time I took a shower, I remembered the time when my mother and I used to shower together when I was a child. It was fun, we would play with the water, and I would cry when I got soap in my eyes. And she would hold me and tell me that I was fine, and everything was going to be okay. Like the dramatic kid I was, I would cry out, "I'm going to die, mummy".

She usually just laughed at me and said, "No, you are not, baby", and she would smile at me.

Except one time, Mateo had beaten her so much that she couldn't smile. She showered with me anyway, although she was in so much pain. Her body was covered in bruises, from blue and purple to yellow. That time I took her hand and asked.

"What happened, mummy?" Seeing her sad made me cry, I didn't want to see my mummy in pain.

She whispered with her wobbly voice, "Nothing, baby. Stop crying." Wiping the tears off of my cheeks with her thumb, she smiled a sad smile that didn't reach her eyes.

''Why?"

"Why, what, honey?" she replied, washing my hair.

"Why does daddy hurt you?"

"He is in a bad place right now. He hasn't always been like that."  I didn't know whether that was a lie or not then, but now, I know it was a lie.

"Why don't you run away or do something about that, mummy?"

"I can't, and I love him, Leah," she sighed, looking at me with her blank eyes. The look in her eyes brought me back to the harsh reality.

I got out of the shower and got dressed, brushed my hair, and braided it. If I didn't do that, I was going to wake up to a bird nest that made Albert Einstein's hair look five-star.

With a sigh, I made my way to my bed. My bed wasn't that big, but it was good, my room in general wasn't huge, but I liked it though. On my walls I had drawings that I had made, I was not that good. Sketching or painting was there just to distracted me from this dystopian world.

On the other side of the room, I had my bookshelf with my favourite books like, Wuthering Heights and Great Gatsby.

One thing I loved about Wuthering Heights was that they never said 'I love you' in the book, still you felt it so strong. They didn't need to say it. Catherine said, "He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same". That was so much better than an old, boring 'I love you'.